The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: La Lagune 1989 & 1990

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

WTN: La Lagune 1989 & 1990

by Matt Richman » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:12 pm

1989 Château La Lagune (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc)
Bottle showed signs of seepage.
A bit flat. Nice full dark cherry, nice mellow creamy Bordeaux flavor with iron, blood, and good middle strength. Not a lot else going on. Based on this bottle I'd say drink up.
B/B-

1990 Château La Lagune (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc)
Iron, mineral with deep creamy fruit. Good concentration and grip, although not a "wow" wine. Could still be improving and will hold on for some years. Smooth, mature. Very nice.
B+
no avatar
User

Nigel Groundwater

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:08 pm

London, UK

Re: WTN: La Lagune 1989 & 1990

by Nigel Groundwater » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:17 am

Matt Richman wrote:1989 Château La Lagune (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc)
Bottle showed signs of seepage.
A bit flat. Nice full dark cherry, nice mellow creamy Bordeaux flavor with iron, blood, and good middle strength. Not a lot else going on. Based on this bottle I'd say drink up.
B/B-

1990 Château La Lagune (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc)
Iron, mineral with deep creamy fruit. Good concentration and grip, although not a "wow" wine. Could still be improving and will hold on for some years. Smooth, mature. Very nice.
B+

Thanks for the note and good memories. I bought and cellared both these wines but finished them years ago when IMO they were already mature although the wine does keep. I enjoyed them very much, preferring the 90 to the 89 which was slightly ‘tougher’.

Strangely, I have not had or bought the wine since despite the good things that have been said in recent years about the investment and new owners; the Frey family with daughter Caroline as winemaker.

It is certainly a beautiful estate and perhaps time to consider buying some back numbers.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:53 am

Hmm, I had hopes for my lone bottle of the '89 La Lagune lasting a bit longer, but it's been 5 years since I tried. Should move to drink rack I guess. Thanks
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:49 pm

Like I said, this 1989 was not in great shape--signs of seepage. Still, I'd drink up. It's doubtful that even a perfectly stored bottle would get any better, and likely it's starting downhill. OTOH in a few months it turns 20...

The 1990, which was in great shape, is still going strong.