The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Cortese/Monterotondo ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

Cortese/Monterotondo ?

by Clint Hall » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:26 pm

I need a geography lesson. The wine list of a restaurant I will be dining at tonight includes a "Villa Sparina Monterotondo NV Brut (Cortese)." OK, I know Cortese is the not-very-distinguished white grape from Piemonte used to make Gavi. And the menu and the rest of the wine list are scrupulously Piemonte, so I'm assuming the wine is made in Piemonte. But what about "Monterotondo," a region way down south near Rome. What's that about?
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Seattle, WA

Re: Cortese/Monterotondo ?

by Clint Hall » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:39 pm

Guess I jumped the gun on that one. I subsequently found the website of the winery (Villa Sparina) and discovered that the "Monterotondo" referred to on the wine list is not the Monterotondo region but "Monterotondo Hill," the source of the Cortese grapes. The winery is in the city of Gavi, which of course is in Piemontese, as no doubt is the hill..
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Seattle, WA

Re: Cortese/Monterotondo ?

by Clint Hall » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:10 am

And as expected the Villa Sparina Monterotondo Cortese NV Brut is a characterless dud. But the food at this new and scrupulously Piemontese Seattle restaurant (Cascina Spinasse) is more than good, as was the only other white wine on the wine list, a 2007 Bruno Giacosa Arneis, and my BYOB, a 2000 Cantina Vignaioli Marcarini, an inexpensive Barbaresco that is drinking well now.