The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What makes a wine a "Rosato"?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: What makes a wine a "Rosato"?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:33 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Bob, unless you enjoy the memory work, there is another way to get the accented characters. In the folder Windows subfolder System32, there is an Exe file called Charmap.Exe which has about any character one would ever need to use. It does necessitate calling up the program, selecting the character, copying the character then pasting it into the text you are writing. For me at least it is easier than memorizing all the possible Alt key combinations. I keep a shortcut to the program on my desktop for convenience sake. I also keep the desktop checked in the toolbars so that I can easily access the desktop without quitting the page I am working on.

If all this is superfluous, then delete this post.

Bob H or anyone..where do I find folder Windows subfolder Sustem32??
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:29 am

While Windows Character Map works well, for ease of use I'd recommend installing Allchars, a freeware program available at http://allchars.zwolnet.com/
I've had on at least 5 computers, it uses little memory and has never caused a conflict or problem. It really is a great program, that makes putting in accents easy and intuitive.
You just hit control, then a logical two-letter combination:
d" & g to make the degree sign- 45°
e and ' to make an acute e - é
c and r for copyright ©
- and L to make pound £
etc. Makes accents, symbols, fractions, special letters (including Old English/Runic, not needed that one yet), and so on. I find it easier than remembering Windows character map codes or consulting map.

I must confess I often don't include accents in TNs,because I also post on a Usenet forum and characters (whether inserted through Windows Charmap or Allchars) often distort on some readers.

BTW, I have to say that even when putting wineloverspage in trusted sites, WLDG occasionally crashes my IE since the counter went in (XP Pro with SP2, IE 7, Java SE 1.6). Totally unstable if I try to access through AOL, just removed from favorites there so I don't forget and crash browser).
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:39 am

Dale Williams wrote:BTW, I have to say that even when putting wineloverspage in trusted sites, WLDG occasionally crashes my IE since the counter went in (XP Pro with SP2, IE 7, Java SE 1.6). Totally unstable if I try to access through AOL, just removed from favorites there so I don't forget and crash browser).

Dale, for a simpler workaround, you might consider just choosing a different "style" ("skin") than Softmetal if you want to avoid the chat counter entirely. I've pretty much decided to use the counter only on the default skin, so those who want to work around it can just choose SubSilver, Wapsidoodle or whatever.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:17 am

Find Character Map - on your computer. It will list all the characters of a selected font and at the bottom right will show the keystrokes to use special characters.

Alt 0174 = ®
Alt 0214 = Ö
Alt 0154 = š
Alt 0234 = ê
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:56 am

é......OK thanks, I found it via Character Map. Hey, I am getting good at this eh?!!!!

Howie, I did a 'select' and then copied. Not quite sure how this will work when typing out here.Lets try.......... Rosé, Great.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:34 am

Bob Ross wrote:PS: how did you get that accent grave in there? Thanks for any enlightment on that front as well. B.

Bob, I really like the following little free program AllChars for Windows. It comes with no strings attached (no pop-ups or trackers etc.) and is easier than remembering or using the ALT key combos or trying to fight with the Insert Symbol function of Word.

With this program, you simply tap on and release the CTRL key and then select a rather intuitive combination of keys (the order of these second keys being irrelevant), e.g:

CTRL + " + o = ö
CTRL + ' + e = é
CTRL + s + s = ß
CTRL + o + e = œ
CTRL + ` + e = è
CTRL + . + o = º as in 55º F

and many more.

I type in German, French and Italian almost on a daily basis. This little program speed things up for me, especially since it works anywhere, i.e. in Word, Outlook, Search Engines, Notepad, Webmail etc.

The Dutch fellow who wrote the program updates it regularly. The only hang-up I've ever experienced is that it sometimes doesn't load and I have to go into my program files and click on the exe file to give it a kick-start.

Try it. You'll like it!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:36 am

Dale Williams wrote:While Windows Character Map works well, for ease of use I'd recommend installing Allchars, a freeware program available at http://allchars.zwolnet.com/

I guess I should have read the thread. I just recommended this, too. It's my "favoritest" little program for foreign characters.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:48 pm

Ummm, If I can yank you guys away from ALT-Umlaut for a minute...I'm going to make a broad generalization here. Italian Rosato S-U-C-K-S. Why is it that the rest of Europe does a great job with Rose when Italy just can't seem to get it right? IMNSHO. The best Rosato I've had from Italy wasn't even Rosato at all -Niedermayer Santa Madelena Rosso(I've had Burgundian Roses that were darker). I think the problem may lie in (especially) Sangiovese's unwillingness to be interesting without a little help.

Thank you,
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:27 am

Bill Hooper wrote:I'm going to make a broad generalization here. Italian Rosato S-U-C-K-S. Why is it that the rest of Europe does a great job with Rose when Italy just can't seem to get it right? IMNSHO. The best Rosato I've had from Italy wasn't even Rosato at all -Niedermayer Santa Madelena Rosso(I've had Burgundian Roses that were darker). I think the problem may lie in (especially) Sangiovese's unwillingness to be interesting without a little help.

I realize you stated it was a broad generalization, but I can't help arguing anyway. :D

In my search for good rosés, 2 of this year's top contenders are Italian- the 2006 Larmes du Paradis (Vallée d`Aoste) & the 2006 Cantalupo "Il Mimo" (Colline Novaresi). I also found the 2005 Muri-Gries   Rosato (Alto Adige) to be a decent value at $9ish.

That doesn't actually disagree with your opinion re Sangiovese (I've never had a Sangiovese rosato I really loved, even Castello di Ama is so-so). The Larmes du Paradis is 85% Nebbiolo/15% Freisa, the Il Mimo 100% Nebbiolo, and the Muri-Gries is Lagrein.

Gary, great minds think alike.

Robin, moving to a different skin seems to have worked. Hopefully not too many others get discouraged.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:24 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Bill Hooper wrote:I'm going to make a broad generalization here. Italian Rosato S-U-C-K-S. Why is it that the rest of Europe does a great job with Rose when Italy just can't seem to get it right? IMNSHO. The best Rosato I've had from Italy wasn't even Rosato at all -Niedermayer Santa Madelena Rosso(I've had Burgundian Roses that were darker). I think the problem may lie in (especially) Sangiovese's unwillingness to be interesting without a little help.

I realize you stated it was a broad generalization, but I can't help arguing anyway. :D

In my search for good rosés, 2 of this year's top contenders are Italian- the 2006 Larmes du Paradis (Vallée d`Aoste) & the 2006 Cantalupo "Il Mimo" (Colline Novaresi). I also found the 2005 Muri-Gries   Rosato (Alto Adige) to be a decent value at $9ish.

That doesn't actually disagree with your opinion re Sangiovese (I've never had a Sangiovese rosato I really loved, even Castello di Ama is so-so). The Larmes du Paradis is 85% Nebbiolo/15% Freisa, the Il Mimo 100% Nebbiolo, and the Muri-Gries is Lagrein.

Dale,

I was hoping someone would come out guns a blazin' (I often expect it when making Broad generalizations as I'm happy to do). I've never had Nebbiolo Rose (nor a blend there of), but while we were recently drinking a bottle of Freisa a friend of mine put it best. "Drinking Freisa is like being attracted to an androgynous person who is wearing nice perfume; it might seem harmless, but it just isn't right." Well said I think.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:03 pm

Rosé
Moulin-â-Vent
Gewürztraminer
Hârslevelü

Thanks for hi-jacking this thread Robin, Howie and others.

Salute
Previous