The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '04 Schafer-Frolich Bockenauer Felseneck Spatlese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: '04 Schafer-Frolich Bockenauer Felseneck Spatlese

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:05 pm

Served the evening after the '07 posted elsewhere, this is just barely showing limited development, and we were luck to catch it not shut down. There's a beginning of petrol on the nose & very slatey, cherry-infused flavors. It was a magical match with our chicken in dried cherry cream sauce.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: '04 Schafer-Frolich Bockenauer Felseneck Spatlese

by Mark S » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:26 am

David,

I have a little slew of 2004 rieslings and wonder where they might be along in their development. No Shafer-Frolich for that year, but Donnhoff, Kuhn, Weil, Willi Schaefer...
are these drinking well now? (I am interested because of your closed-down & petrol note on this one). 2002's I've had recently have been uterly delicious right now.

Best,
Mark
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: '04 Schafer-Frolich Bockenauer Felseneck Spatlese

by Salil » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:19 pm

Mark S wrote: I have a little slew of 2004 rieslings and wonder where they might be along in their development. No Shafer-Frolich for that year, but Donnhoff, Kuhn, Weil, Willi Schaefer...
are these drinking well now? (I am interested because of your closed-down & petrol note on this one). 2002's I've had recently have been uterly delicious right now.

Not David here, so I hope you'll forgive my interruption - but most of those seem to be in a fairly closed-down phase right now. I've had the 04 Weil Grafenberg Spatlese twice in the last year - in January it was drinking beautifully, an absolute beauty with tons of power, balance and complexity - when I opened another bottle around June/July - both from the same lot/cellar - it seemed to be closing down. The raw fruit, power and intensity was there, but it seemed to have a lot more in reserve and didn't show the precision and range of flavours that my previous bottle had. Had a similar experience with the 04 Donnhoff Schlossbockelheimer Felsenberg recently - last year it was a mindblowing wine (one of the finest Spats I've ever tried) but needed a ton of air to show at its best - a second bottle a few months later seemed very tight/closed with a fraction of the fruit/complexity I'd found in the first.

The few other 04 Spatlese from Vollenweider and Donnhoff (Kirschheck) that I've tasted in the last few month have also seemed rather tightly wound and holding a lot back in reserve. I think the only 04 I've had recently which wasn't that way was the Donnhoff Norheimer Dellchen, which showed beautifully with a quick decant (although that had come from a very cold cellar). IMO, it's worth keeping hands off those - the 02s, 03s, some 05s, 06s and 07s are all tasting gorgeous at the moment, so I'm drinking those for now until the 04s start to open back up.