The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 05 Kruger-Rumpf Münsterer Pittersberg Riesling Kabinett

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: 05 Kruger-Rumpf Münsterer Pittersberg Riesling Kabinett

by Salil » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:25 pm

Or proof of why I shouldn't read Terry Theise's catalogues, for my own good.
Despite very little experience/familiarity with this producer I bought two bottles of this some time ago when I found some with a retailer in Chicago, partly because it was an 05 Nahe Riesling (can you go wrong with those?) at a great price, and largely because it was one of the wines on the 'Shortlist for rockheads' in the catalogue. After a couple of glasses though, I'm not complaining.

Pulled one open tonight after making a Chinese-style fried rice with pork, chicken, carrots, sprouts and Guilin chili that didn't turn out as spicy as I'd anticipated (hence 'hey, this could probably go well with a Kabinett').

Light green-flecked straw colour, and lovely to just sit and breathe in with tons of slate, tangerine, nectarine and apple on the nose. On the palate this is just fantastic with bright peachy and tangerine flavours mingled with lots of slate and rocks. There's plenty of acidity present, and the mouthfeel is awesome - moving this around the mouth almost feels like having pebbles rolling over your tongue. Clean long finish with a little grapefruit/citric bitterness at the back.

That other bottle I've got sitting around won't last much longer.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 05 Kruger-Rumpf Münsterer Pittersberg Riesling Kabinett

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:34 pm

Sounds good. Any recent experience with other 05 KRs?

I plan to open the Dautenpflanzer Spatlese soon.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:00 pm

Nope, no experience unfortunately - this is actually my first Kruger-Rumpf.

Look forward to hearing about the Dautenpflanzer. The other 05 Nahe Spats I've had recently have all been stunning, so I reckon that should be in a good place still (if you like very primary fruit/mineral flavours).

Meanwhile, the bottle's back in the fridge with a good amount left for tomorrow night - but the wine just kept going from strength to strength with time, with more layers and some aloe/floral characters emerging, and the acidity becoming more and more prominent. Really delicious.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:44 am

Kruger-Rumpf is a wonderful producer, especially when one takes QPR into account. Stefan Rumpf doesn't get the press, but the wines are consistently drinkable and delicious. Nothing wrong with that! :D
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:02 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Kruger-Rumpf is a wonderful producer, especially when one takes QPR into account. Stefan Rumpf doesn't get the press, but the wines are consistently drinkable and delicious.

I agree. I'm not a huge Nahe fan but the QPR and drinkability make these wines worth purchasing for me. And the QPR is especially useful for bringing down the average bottle price in my order and justifying splurges on other wines :wink:
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:26 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Kruger-Rumpf is a wonderful producer, especially when one takes QPR into account. Stefan Rumpf doesn't get the press, but the wines are consistently drinkable and delicious. Nothing wrong with that! :D

Drinkable and delicious under $20 is always a good thing.

Finished the bottle off tonight, paired with some slightly spicy roasted cauliflower and parathas. The bottle hadn't changed at all since Sunday - still plenty of bright pure fruit, lots of minerality and really refreshing acidity. Delicious, with just enough sweetness here to complement the cauliflower well.