The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wow - an unspoofulated Nero d'Avola!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Wow - an unspoofulated Nero d'Avola!

by Saina » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:50 pm

Dinner at friends' house - they made a very nice pizza; I was going to bring a Chianti but opted for this instead when I saw it at the shop:

• Feudo di Santa Tresa Cerasuolo di Vittoria 2004 - Italy, Sicily, Cerasuolo di Vittoria (10/27/2008)
    12,59€; plastic "cork"; 13% abv; Nero d'Avola & Frappato. Despite the plastic closure, this is very vibrant. It started out with some rather wild, funky and volatile aromas coupled with a beautiful red berry scent that was both bright, refreshing and ripe. Sadly the funky scents blew away, but gladly the beautiful red berry scents remained and it gained some plummy character: it morphed from a Musar-lookalike into something much more mainstream but still very interesting. No oak that I can sense. More medium- than full-bodied for a Southern wine, ripe but not overdone in any way, refreshingly tannic, quite lively acidity. If this is how lovely Nero d'Avola based wines can be when they aren't whacked with oak, why are so many made in such a massively oaky style?
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: WTN: Wow - an unspoofulated Nero d'Avola!

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:19 am

I suspect the Frappato in the blend (between 30% and 50%, per the DOCG regulations) is what made this so agreeable to you, Otto. Red berry fruit and bright acidity are pretty much the grape's hallmarks, I believe.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:54 pm

Clinton Macsherry wrote:I suspect the Frappato in the blend (between 30% and 50%, per the DOCG regulations) is what made this so agreeable to you, Otto. Red berry fruit and bright acidity are pretty much the grape's hallmarks, I believe.

Good to know, thanks Clinton. Must seek out more Frappatoed wines. I'm also sure that lack of Barrique aging facilitated my enjoyment, too. A shame it is so hard to get unspoofulated Sicilians here.

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:04 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote: Must seek out more Frappatoed wines.
-O

Might be a bit of a tricky task, Otto. I'm not sure Frappato is grown much else than near the town of Vittoria, so you'll have to search for other Cerasuoli di vittoria, I think. The one by Planeta was available here in Sweden, but is unfortunately almost sold out.
On the interesting side, Cerasuolo is also the name for rosé in Abruzzo, made from the Montepulciano grape, as well as the name of an olive variety grown in Sicily (or in fact cerasuola, but it is just the feminine form of the same adjective which simply means cherry coloured). So much for cerasuolo trivia. :)
Good luck!
/Anders
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:47 pm

Otto,

I thought I was a wine and words guy until now. I had to hunt down unspoofulated at snobsite to have the foggiest idea of what you meant. I love it and I bow before you. :lol:
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Kerry Gardner

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:52 pm

by Kerry Gardner » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:33 pm

It is unfortunate to see many wines from Italy, while under the guise of trying to embrace more advanced wine production, to go and almost ruin what potentially and very delicious variety. Sicily, while a long time producer of wine in general, is now coming of age. Nero d'Avola is definately starting to shine through. I personally have found an extreme value in Dievole's "Pinocchio".
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:52 pm

Jeff_Dudley wrote:Otto,
I had to hunt down unspoofulated at snobsite to have the foggiest idea of what you meant.

And I thought Otto invented that word! 8)
Anders