The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chablis with lobster and leftovers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Chablis with lobster and leftovers

by Dale Williams » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:35 am

We were planning on a leftover assortment last night, but Stew Leonards had small lobsters for $3.99/lb, Betsy couldn't resist grabbing a couple of chicks. We had steamed lobster, an escarole/sausage/broccoli soup,. rice with corn and squash, and cabbage with peanut sauce. OK, a little wierd, but all tasty. I opened the 2002 Olivier Savary "Fourchaume" Chablis 1er. Savary is a Kermit L import we don't see much around here, but this is last bottle of an order from PC a few years ago. I opened because of prem-ox fears, but this was fairly fresh. No apparent oak, some chalky notes, light but pure green apple and citrus fruit. This is not a good wine to try to convert a CalChard drinker, but I found quite nice. Lighter styled Chablis, mineral, dry, crisp, refreshing. A little more concentration would put it into excellent camp, but I enjoyed. B+

One discovery- while this was very food friendly and went well overall, I would strongly recommend not pairing lighter Chardonnay with red cabbage with peanut sauce. Both fine on their own, but together- blech!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: Chablis with lobster and leftovers

by Redwinger » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:36 am

Dale-
FWIW, I've enjoyed the few btls of Savary Chablis that came my way. Not block busters, but excellent for the $$
Thanks for the notes.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!