The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A lovely bin-end Gattinara

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: A lovely bin-end Gattinara

by Tim York » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:51 pm

Gattinara 1993 – Azienda Monsecco – Alc. 12.5%

I bought three bottles of this last year at the bin end price of € 5. This was by far the freshest and most youthful of the three (also the last). The two previous were bricking noticeably and showed a somewhat dark and dessicated mineral distinction.

C: Quite light and transparent but not much bricking.
N: Quite restrained but showing elegant notes of minerals, violet and kirsch.
P: Medium bodied at most and not big in flavour but distinguished and classically shaped; much more focused and fruity than the previous bottles and complex with some cherry in particular coming through together with finely appealing bright acidity, minerality and tar notes which supported the finish; a lovely elegant bottle; 16.5/20.

On this form I certainly want more Gattinara. Can anyone recommend classical style producers?
Tim York
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: WTN: A lovely bin-end Gattinara

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:21 pm

Tim York wrote:On this form I certainly want more Gattinara. Can anyone recommend classical style producers?

Don't see very many in my market, Tim, but of the two most common--Travaglini (with its distinctively pinched bottle) and Nervi--I'd say Travaglini is more traditional. By U.S. standards, a decent Gattinara for 5 euro is good value indeed.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Jim Vandegriff

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:33 am

Trinidad, CA

by Jim Vandegriff » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:02 pm

I have particularly enjoyed the bottlings of the producer Antoniolo, and in particular the Osso San Grotto bottling. Jim
in Trinidad, CA, by the sea
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:37 pm

I second the support for Antoniolo, probably the most consistent larger house in Gattinara, and priced above most of the neighborhood for vineyard-designated versions especially. I see prices run around $30 for the village versions, $50 or so for vineyard designated for a very good year like 2001.

Some near-equals in style and quality (but not price) include nebbiolo wines labeled simply as Spanna. Dessilani and Vallana release inexpensive Spanna Riservas which are quite good, very inexpensive and also age well despite the light textures. My Vallana 1985s are still nice today.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:34 am

Clinton Macsherry wrote:
Tim York wrote:On this form I certainly want more Gattinara. Can anyone recommend classical style producers?

Don't see very many in my market, Tim, but of the two most common--Travaglini (with its distinctively pinched bottle) and Nervi--I'd say Travaglini is more traditional. By U.S. standards, a decent Gattinara for 5 euro is good value indeed.

Tim, the Travaglini won hands down at the recent Blind Challenge. See my note!

Bob