The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Spann Vineyards Charbono Napa 2006

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

WTN: Spann Vineyards Charbono Napa 2006

by Hoke » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:58 pm

(Posted in the Sauvignon Musque thread, but I realized it really deserved it's own.)

Well, Peter May did on the Musque thread...

Anyway, speaking of Charbono, had occasion to go up the mountain with Thomas Pellechia and a friend to visit the Spann Winery up in the Mayacamas Range (perched between Sonoma and Napa off Trinity Road).

We had previously stopped in the Family Wineries Tasting Room in Kenwood and had tasted the wine. It's a 2006 Napa Charbono, and all of 150 cases were made. It's a big, bad bruiser of a wine---but not in the least spoofulated or exaggerated; it's quite simply that way....because it's quite simply that way!

The Charbono variety, and particularly in Napa, is now legendary, although there's not that much of it left. It has made some tremendously compacted, big wines with long ageing potential in the past, and this one follows in that grand tradition.

Oddly enough, for all its massive presence, it betrays a resemblance to a Dolcetoo or Gamay on Steroids, for it is full to bursting with ripe fruit aromas and flavors.

'Tis a curious wine, but altogether lovable. And makes a mockery of all those exaggerated-for-effect Napa Cult Cabs.

Good luck finding it. You can always try the Spann website.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Spann Vineyards Charbono Napa 2006

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:05 pm

I like the Dolcetto/Gamay reference. That rings true for me.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

Re: WTN: Spann Vineyards Charbono Napa 2006

by Jeff_Dudley » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:15 pm

Those sound like nice wines. I like how Charbono tannins are soft and button-down firm at the same time, with a nice acid collar. My recall of my cellar tells me that I have one magnum of Inglenook's old vine 1985 Charbono to be consumed, some day. It's down the list quite a ways. Hoke, are you a SoCal guy ? This bottle needs a friend, a Charbono fan. :wink:
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin