The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

STN/BTN: The importance of barrels

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

STN/BTN: The importance of barrels

by Rahsaan » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:18 am

Had a bunch of interesting drinks last night, some of which raised the importance of barrels.

To the festivities I brought a bottle of Allagash Curieux (bottled in 2008) which is a Tripel Ale aged for 8 weeks in used Jim Beam barrels. The crowd liked bourbon so I thought it might fit in. Even though it seemed to be the very definition of spoof applied to beer. Be that as it may, it was interesting and rich, yet balanced for my tastes. And showed that these creative gimmicks can produce delicious results. Sometimes.

Even more compelling was the Bruichladdich 1998 10 year Old Single Islay Malt Scotch Whisky. This had been aged in Manzanilla sherry casks, which earned it the title of the 'Anti-terroir' Scotch for some at the table. Nonetheless, it was pretty darn delicious. For me, the nose was the most sea-salty-spraying aspect of it, but the palate was nicely rounded, accessible and slightly 'Manzanilla-like' if you thought hard enough.

It doesn't all have to be local and authentic does it!
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

Re: STN/BTN: The importance of barrels

by Steve Slatcher » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:36 am

I'm not sure why aging in Manzanilla casks should be regarded as "Anti-terroir". The use of sherry casks is traditional for aging whisky, mainly because used sherry casks are cheap and readily available, and the practice is still common.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:28 am

Steve Slatcher wrote:I'm not sure why aging in Manzanilla casks should be regarded as "Anti-terroir". The use of sherry casks is traditional for aging whisky...

But not Manzanilla casks.

It gave an element of Manzanilla to the drink that clearly wasn't something from the local Scottish lands.

But it was tasty so no complaints from me.
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:49 am

I believe, generally speaking, different types of sherry casks are used - roughly in proportion to the production volumes of the various types of sherry. So mainly oloroso. But oloroso cask are hardly any more Scottish than manzanilla ones. And I doubt (though may be wrong) that oloroso casks are any more neutral - just different.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:35 pm

Steve Slatcher wrote:But oloroso cask are hardly any more Scottish than manzanilla ones. And I doubt (though may be wrong) that oloroso casks are any more neutral - just different.

I agree. To be honest, I've yet to be convinced by Scotch. Although I have not really applied the necessary study :wink:
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:06 pm

I think I could be easily convinced without too much effort. But I decided that one alcoholic drink obsession was enough. Besides, tasting whisky is really hard work. I once lined up tasters of 4 or 5 different whiskies, and my palate was completely shot about half way through.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:35 pm

Steve Slatcher wrote:Besides, tasting whisky is really hard work..

I agree. But just like wine it helps to spit :wink: