The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '91 Montelena and '91 Ritchie Creek

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN: '91 Montelena and '91 Ritchie Creek

by wrcstl » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:04 am

Opened both of these at an excellent local bistro. The food was great and the wines were even better.

'91 Ch Montelena: - The thing that jumped out immediately was a fabulous nose. You could smell classic Cab fruit, no alcohol or oak, and very long lasting. It was definitely a CA cab but in the old style, not overripe or alcoholic, just good fruit, complex and very nicely integrated. Don't know why we don't make this kind of wine anymore. Maybe I could answer my own question by saying I tasted this wine about 5 years ago and it was just not ready, too tight and unyielding. Last night it was great but will continue for at least another 10+ years. This style wine requires patience.

'91 Ritchie Creek: - Another good producer but a totally different wine. Without seeing the label I would have guessed a Bordeaux. It did not jump out of the glass like the Montelena, had a detectable acidic component, tight, good but not as great as the first wine. We played with both of these wines over 1-2 hours and the Ritchie creek really opened up and became much more friendly. It also showed the fruit better and in the end could definitely be called a CA cab, a very interesting evolution and a great drink.

Seldom do I get to taste two such wonderful wines in one evening over a long period of time. Hard to choose but I would give the Montelena a slight nod but would love to have both wines in my cellar. Wait, I just remembered, I still have two more bottles of the Montelena. 8)
Walt
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: '91 Montelena and '91 Ritchie Creek

by Redwinger » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:41 am

The Ritchie Creek Cabs from pre-1997 have always provided drinking pleasure. As you mention, they were atypical for California and more restrained in style with decent acidity.
I haven't seen their wines locally for a number of years, so I don't know if their winemaking approach has changed in the last 10 or 12 years.
Thanks for the memories!
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:46 am

Is there any truth to the comment that Montelena changed their style and their new Estate Cabs require far less celaring? If so, do you know when (what vintage) they changed?

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:57 am

Redwinger wrote:As you mention, they were atypical for California and more restrained in style with decent acidity.

Hello Bill. Are they at all similar to Martini's Cabs then (which I'm a huge fan of)?
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:02 am

Tom Troiano wrote:Is there any truth to the comment that Montelena changed their style and their new Estate Cabs require far less celaring? If so, do you know when (what vintage) they changed?

Tom T.

Tom,
I only bought the '91 Montelena and with the exception of maybe 4-5 bottles per year do not purchase CA cabs. Anything I have tried recently just seem to be made for early drinking and too over-the-top. I found this wine wonderful but have no idea what their recent vintages are like. I still have about 15 bottles of pre '95 cabs and they have all been excellent.
Walt
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:06 am

Ryan Maderak wrote:
Redwinger wrote:As you mention, they were atypical for California and more restrained in style with decent acidity.

Hello Bill. Are they at all similar to Martini's Cabs then (which I'm a huge fan of)?

Ryan-
IMO not at all like the Martini Cabs. The RCs are a lighter (in a good way), less fruit forward and have more acidic backbone. If you have a chance to ever taste an RC with 10+ years on them, jump at it.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:17 am

Thanks for the notes.

I think the Montelena '91 is one of their best ever; I think it's just coming into a top drinking period, which should last another ten years or so at least. We have a Montelena vertical dinner tonight with the young lions so I'll be reporting soon on our bottles for the '84, '85, '86, '87, '90, 92 and '94 Estate wines. Note the '91 was opened earlier this month if you want to hunt for review under Wine Focus.

I liked Ritchie Creek's '87 and '91 cabernet a great deal; their unique take on a ruby red mountain style, somewhat elegant and angular cabernet was a treat. I can't think of anyone else who made similar cabernet in California during that time. A unusual property there, perhaps the least fertile land (nearly pure rock) that I've ever seen used to grow wine grapes.

I agree that Montelena cabernet are quite different from those of Martini in nearly every dimension: color, tannin and acid, aroma, ageability, finish. A huge contrast.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:36 pm

I'm looking forward to the Montelena notes as I have 85, 87 and all of the 1990-95 vintages sitting in the cellar untouched.
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:28 pm

Our Montelena dinner was postponed, to be rescheduled. Summer colds are taking the guys down. I will post notes when we get there.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin