The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Domaine Coursodon St Joseph

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: 2004 Domaine Coursodon St Joseph

by Brian K Miller » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:25 am

This is the second wine I've had from this producer-the previous was labelled Syrah :?:
Based on this tiny sample, Coursodon does have a house style, which is light, fresh, and maybe even elegant.

Maybe because I still drink more California wines, but I don't "get" the reviews that talk of ripe black fruit. Instead: remember when we talked about Pinots that are tasting more like Syrah? This is a Syrah that has the light body and COLOR of a Pinot!

Nonetheless, I enjoy this style of wine-very nice light red cherry fruit, some meatiness on the back of the palate, some pepperyness.

One thing I am discovering about Rhone Syrahs is I almost enjoy sniffing them more than drinking them. Not saying that I disliked these flavors at all, just that it was hard to make myself swallow because I love the cherry, white pepper, hint of meat aromas! Delicious wine to just sniff! 89 points.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2004 Domaine Coursodon St Joseph

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:31 am

Brian K Miller wrote:Based on this tiny sample, Coursodon does have a house style, which is light, fresh, and maybe even elegant..

I've never actually had a Coursodon wine so you're two ahead of me. But the reputation is for modern polished maybe even elegant yet slightly oaky wines at the top of the hierarchy. Sounds like this was delicious however, and obviously cheaper.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:18 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:Based on this tiny sample, Coursodon does have a house style, which is light, fresh, and maybe even elegant..

I've never actually had a Coursodon wine so you're two ahead of me. But the reputation is for modern polished maybe even elegant yet slightly oaky wines at the top of the hierarchy. Sounds like this was delicious however, and obviously cheaper.

Not a lot of oak on this lesser cuvee, Rahsaan.

To be honest, French wines that are described as "oaky" or "modern" rarely bother me as much as many (most??) California wines. If one is so used to the vanilla bombs, the oaky French ones seem balanced! :twisted:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:22 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:If one is so used to the vanilla bombs, the oaky French ones seem balanced!

It's all relative.

Hence the extreme importance of palate calibration when talking about wine.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:55 pm

The selection 'La Sensonne' is much weightier and longer lived. I have 1997/8 still to drink.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:59 pm

Brian,

I have tasted the St. Joseph Syrah. I thought it was quite a clean and clear expression of the grape. Nicely balanced and not pretentious at all, in my opinion. At the price ($24) I would definitely pick it up again if I had the chance.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins