The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN /Wine Advisor: Boo! Scary Cab and a good book

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

WTN /Wine Advisor: Boo! Scary Cab and a good book

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:43 am

Boo!

Oh, and happy Halloween! I thought it would be fun to celebrate the holiday of ghosties and ghoulies and things that go bump in the night with a brief discussion of a New World wine so overpoweringly alcoholic, fat and sweetly tutti-frutti that it made me jump back and yell, "Whoa!"

While we're at it, let's have a look at a recent book by Alice Feiring, an excellent wine and travel writer and blogger ("Vino in Veritas," http://www.alicefeiring.com/ ).

Alice's "The Battle for Wine and Love: or How I Saved the World from Parkerization," covers some of the same ground as Jonathan Nossiter's 2005 documentary "Mondovino and, frankly, ground that I've tilled repeatedly over the past decade.

Feiring focuses specifically the American wine critic Robert M. Parker as the primary culprit in an international move toward a low-acid, fat-fruit, high-alcohol and technically manipulated style of wine that has cut loose all connection with the earth that produced its grapes, and she bays at the moon - in a most delightful way - in a wrathful, serious yet often very funny blend of polemic, comedy and autobiography.

Although I think Feiring exaggerates a bit for effect, I can't say that I find serious disagreement with her underlying premise: The nature of commercial wine has changed dramatically since the 1980s, and the kinds of moderate, terroir-driven, complex and elegant wines that were commonplace in those days have become harder and harder to find as the 20th century slouched into the 21st.

Feiring pulls no punches: In one memorable line, she observed, "The wines that backed up at my door and dribbled into my glass were testaments to his brand. I had to reckon with the Parker power if I were to understand why most of what I tasted was the rough vinous equivalent of Hawaiian Punch."

Bam!

Yet Feiring is perhaps more persuasive than was Nossiter, who spread his net more widely to bewail globalization in the world wine industry by attacking Parker, Wine Spectator, "flying wine maker" Michel Rolland and many more, and whose "Candid Camera" style was so savage that it almost (but not quite) left one feeling sympathy for his victims.

As I wrote in "Parker swings, misses," ( http://www.wineloverspage.com/wineadvis ... 071207.php ). Dec. 7, 2007 30 Second Wine Advisor), "I respect Parker for his consistency. But, like a lot of other wine geeks I know, I find the wines he rates in the 90- to 100-point range to be too big, alcoholic and fruit-forward for me. The wines he dismisses in the 80-point range tend to be the kind of more subtle and elegant wines that I enjoy."

In my judgement, though, Parker needn't bear all the blame. I see it as a combination of climate change (let's avoid that controversial term "global warming") yielding riper and riper grapes that produce fruit-forward, high-alcohol wines, along with a global wine industry conscious of a critic-driven market that loves wines like that.

As I wrote in February 2007, "... the evidence is in the glass. ... Heat-wave vintages around the world have fostered idiosyncratically inky, powerful wines from many world wine regions. This gift of nature has played directly into increasing market demand based on high ratings by U.S. critics - particularly Robert M. Parker Jr. and Wine Spectator's writers - who seem to prefer fruit-forward 'blockbuster' wines to more traditional styles focused on earth and elegance.

"Hot vintages like 2000 and 2003 in Europe and 2001 in Northern California have yielded wines of critical acclaim, and prices seem to rise in tandem with alcohol levels and fruit extract. Meanwhile, the world of wine lovers is falling into opposing camps, separating those who love the jammy style from those who prefer the subtle complexity of more traditional wines."

Mark me in Feiring's camp: Her book is not for the faint-of-heart, not for those who object to the forthright expression of anger in literary yelling. But I think it's fun, and I think she's on track.

If you'd like to order Alice Feiring's "The Battle for Wine and Love: or How I Saved the World from Parkerization" from Amazon.com, it's available in hardcover at the following link for $15.64, a 32 percent saving from the $23 list price. Orders placed using this exact link will return a small commission to WineLoversPage.com.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... rswineloA/

Casa Lapostolle 2006 Rapel Valley Cabernet Sauvignon ($13.99)

Let's not savage today's wine with a formal tasting report. Suffice it to say that this inky, high-octane fruit-bomb of a Chilean Cabernet, if not quite a Halloween trick, falls clearly into the kind of "new international style" wine that Parker enjoys but that Feiring, I assume, and I do not.

Dark as ink, it bursts from the glass with fruit-forward plums and berries and a distinct hint of woodsmoke, likely a signal of its 12 months in new French oak barrels. Full and ripe, juicy black fruit is dealt a blast of high octane by 14.5% alcohol that comes across, sadly, as harsh heat. Scratchy tannins linger with sweet fruit in the finish. It's not a bad wine with red meat on the table to tame its power and astringency, but I can't rate it as a great value for this price. U.S. importer: Marnier Lapostolle Co., NYC. (Oct. 29, 2008)

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN /Wine Advisor: Boo! Scary Cab and a good book

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:56 pm

Here's my "review" of the book which I typed up a few months ago but never posted:

Part and parcel of being a wine geek is the need to be up in arms about something at all times. In this way Alice Feiring certainly qualifies as a wine geek. Her recent book The Battle for Wine and Love (or How I Saved the World from Parkeization) conveys a sense that she is consistently up in arms about one thing: not everyone makes wine that she likes. In fact almost nobody makes wine that she likes.

If I were to actually write a reading note (it’s like a tasting note but without the fun of tasting) about the book, I would summarize it as follows:

The Battle for Wine & Love is a whiny, disjointed set of anecdotes which establish a monolithic view of the wine world. Repetitive in its themes, and acidic in its attitudes, the book leaves the reader feeling that their money would have been better spent on a bottle of Australian Shiraz, thus ensuring that they would never have to share a table with the author. While the book does come together a bit on the finish, it cannot overcome the overall level of bitterness that dominates the body of the work.

There’s no sense in getting into a blow by blow assessment of Feiring’s comments in the book, as any contradiction of her points is sure to be considered as a failure to get the point. However, I do want to specifically call out her dismissal of the Moet & Chandon Trilogie des Grands Crus. While I never had the opportunity to sample the Chardonnay based entrant, I did drink (that’s drink, not taste) both the Pinot Meunier and Pinot Noir versions, and found them delicious and distinctive; an opinion shared with a wine geek of high (or ill depending on your favorite web site) repute and our respective wives whose palates exceed our own in their persnickety-ness. Professional (and decidedly un-spoofy) critic Stephen Tanzer was also quite positive about the trilogie. Granted that was just one short story in the book, but the easy way in which Feiring dismissed even high quality wines, just because of who or how they made them, made the whole reading process tedious.

Just my 2 cents.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:31 pm

David, I am getting nervous. I am finding myself agreeing with you more and more on all sorts of issues! :D While I might enjoy the snarkiness of this book, I have had a feeling that this book just wasn't for me. Thank you for saving me the trouble. I have too many books that Hoke has suggested I read to waste my time on this. Just my two cents.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:35 pm

David,

I second James' comments. I think I'll pass on this book. Thanks for the "review".

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:48 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Part and parcel of being a wine geek is the need to be up in arms about something at all times.

No, see, you lost me right there.

I understand that some people see statements made by others with whom the disagree. Where you lose me is that this should result in some urge to set the world straight by engaging in debate.

I don't think that urge is part of being a wine geek at all. I am about as geeky as they get, but when I see something written that I disagree with, I roll my eyes, figure that there goes another misguided individual, and wander off to look for my corkscrew. I feel no urge whatsoever to 'set the record straight' or any such thing, and in my experience that rarely happens anyway.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:55 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Part and parcel of being a wine geek is the need to be up in arms about something at all times.

No, see, you lost me right there.

I understand that some people see statements made by others with whom the disagree. Where you lose me is that this should result in some urge to set the world straight by engaging in debate.

I don't think that urge is part of being a wine geek at all. I am about as geeky as they get, but when I see something written that I disagree with, I roll my eyes, figure that there goes another misguided individual, and wander off to look for my corkscrew. I feel no urge whatsoever to 'set the record straight' or any such thing, and in my experience that rarely happens anyway.

That makes you a wine lover, not a geek. You have evolved beyond geekiness.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:34 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:That makes you a wine lover, not a geek. You have evolved beyond geekiness.

I am seldom accused of having evolved (quiet, Jenise!), but I hadn't thought about a willingness to engage in debate as a necessary criterion for being classed as a geek. Under that definition I must also be politically evolved and I am evolved as all get out when it comes to spousal relationships, as I have no wish whatsoever to indulge in (equally) pointless debate in either of those arenas !
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:14 pm

Aren't they all kind of pointless debates? :oops:
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:28 pm

Going to stand right with David on the Feiring book. Robin was far too kind in his estimation.

I tried to read the book. I really, really tried. But for primarily the same reasons and issues David cited, I couldn't finish it.

It's not so much a book as a schtick, really. It's a painfully egotistic and simplistic view of a complex universe of wine, and while Alice can be (and I think basically is) a very competent writer, she indulges her own histrionic excess to such a point that I find her pretty much indigestible in this book.

She makes frenetic snap judgements and condmenations of people, imputes goals and ideas to them that are simply not the case (I know some of the wineries and people she cited). She also reveals a distinct lack of knowledge about some things of which she pontificates so authoritatively...and it's done in such a way that one figures out quickly her views are decided upon before she even so much as tastes a wine.

Plus, quite frankly, I found myself not in the least bit interested about her love life and her personal foibles and idiosyncracies, which she kep throwing in.

When I finished what I could, then scanned the rest, I came back to one conclusion: when you define yourself as being anti-something in the title of your book, you're defining yourself in the negative.

I think this book will get a little notoriety (which is precisely what Feiring planned), then will quietly fade away and be forgotten.

Shame really, as some of the wines and winemakers she cites are really excellent.
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:10 am

Sounds like I need to get myself a copy and check it out....
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:31 am

Hoke wrote:When I finished what I could, then scanned the rest, I came back to one conclusion: when you define yourself as being anti-something in the title of your book, you're defining yourself in the negative.

I think this book will get a little notoriety (which is precisely what Feiring planned), then will quietly fade away and be forgotten.

Sounds like she ought to run for public office then :wink:
regards
Ian

FWIW, I think there are valid criticisms to be levelled, but it does sound like she's set out to be critical, and that in doing so it's coloured her judgement. I'm not encouraged to read the book.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:08 am

Ian Sutton wrote:
Hoke wrote:When I finished what I could, then scanned the rest, I came back to one conclusion: when you define yourself as being anti-something in the title of your book, you're defining yourself in the negative.

Sounds like she ought to run for public office then :wink:
regards
Ian

FWIW, I think there are valid criticisms to be levelled, but it does sound like she's set out to be critical, and that in doing so it's coloured her judgement. I'm not encouraged to read the book.

Ouch! That is a good commentary on contemporary politics.

I know Robin is a pretty astute guy. Is there something he saw in this book that he could add to the discussion or has he said it all in his original post? David's fairly withering criticism has swayed a lot of people, but I wonder if Robin has a rebuttal, or if this is just a case of reasonable people seeing things differently? I am curious as I see both sides, but David has my vote right now.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:36 am

James Roscoe wrote:I know Robin is a pretty astute guy. Is there something he saw in this book that he could add to the discussion or has he said it all in his original post? David's fairly withering criticism has swayed a lot of people, but I wonder if Robin has a rebuttal, or if this is just a case of reasonable people seeing things differently? I am curious as I see both sides, but David has my vote right now.

My original statement stands, James. I think it was quite an even-handed review. I'm well aware that Alice chose a polemic tone - I think I used the term "baying at the moon" - and she chose to use exaggeration to make her point. I enjoyed reading the book. I agree in general with its premise, although as I said, I'm closer to Nossiter in seeing Parker as one player in the internationalization of wine, not its evil genius.

I think it's a fun book, with a few laughs in it, that makes some pretty serious points in a provocative way. And certainly it brings out the Parker "human shields," although I don't believe David is one of those.

For anyone who's in any doubt about my position, I suggest going back to the top of the thread, putting ALL the responses out of your mind, and re-read exactly what I said. I stand by that, and I don't see any point into getting into a point-by-point rebuttal.

(Added: David indicated that he would rather drink Aussie Shiraz than dine with Alice. I've had some Email exchanges with Alice and, based on them and on her book and other writings, I think she'd be a delightful dinner companion. So perhaps all this really is just a matter of taste.)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:40 am

The problem being that the quotes from Feiring are mostly hyperbolic bull****, and does nothing to persuade. She doesn't build an argument, but rather bays (good term - thanks for reminding me Robin) at the top of her pen. She's the girl who cried "SPOOF", even when it wasn't there.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:24 pm

Okay, I see where we all stand. Thanks for the response Robin. I didn't mean to imply your review wasn't even-handed, far from it. Each reviewer brings their own set of of prejudices (for lack of a better word) and you are very up-front about yours which is one of the reasons I hold you in such high respect despite our philosophical differences. I guess I just come down on David's side and I wanted to know if I missed something. It's only a book by the way and I don't have anything against Ms. Feiring personally. I am afraid that I will consign this type of writing into my personal dustbin. So many books and so little time..... I appreciate the explanations.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:30 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Okay, I see where we all stand. Thanks for the response Robin. I didn't mean to imply your review wasn't even-handed, far from it. Each reviewer brings their own set of of prejudices (for lack of a better word) and you are very up-front about yours which is one of the reasons I hold you in such high respect despite our philosophical differences. I guess I just come down on David's side and I wanted to know if I missed something. It's only a book by the way and I don't have anything against Ms. Feiring personally. I am afraid that I will consign this type of writing into my personal dustbin. So many books and so little time..... I appreciate the explanations.

James, you could take a different approach and go to a "book tasting". Go to your library or bookstore, scope out a copy, and browse a bit. You might actually like Feiring's style. I don't, in this instance (although I do read all her columns that I find; some I like, some I don't, but she is a good writer). You might.

Problem I have with Feiring's diatribe is that it is merely an extended hyperbolic rant, and so ferociously one-sided as to immediately pall. Ironically, she does in her book against Parker what she accuses Parker of doing/being... but then she defines herself, not as Alice Feiring, but as Anti-Parker.

When Feiring is less strident, less partisan, less sloppily ranting, I can appreciate her talents more.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:45 pm

An excellent idea Hoke. I actually do that a lot, but I end up with all those books on history you reviewed a few weeks ago. I just end up in a different direction. I do get that there is a certain snarkiness there that I would probably enjoy. Like you, I am somewhat bothered by people that set them up as anti-something. Thus my distaste for the current political climate.