The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: My first poulsard

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: My first poulsard

by Keith M » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:11 pm

2004 Jacques Puffeney Arbois Poulsard (Arbois AOC, Jura, France) - imported to USA by Rosenthal Wine Merchant, New York, New York - cork closure with bizarre wax cover, 13% - I don't know what the story is with the wax cover, but what a mess to get it off, the wine appears incredibly pale cranberry color, more like I was washing out an empty bottle of zinfandel or something, smell faint dirty socks at first, wines opens up a bit over time to reveal a bit of spice, bit of ash, pointed and prickly, but not a superactive nose, mouthfeel is, wow, smooth as a baby's bottom and something I wasn't expecting from the nose, what integration, taste moves around a lot some sweet, yet tart cranberry, fiery rocks and charcoal, scrumptious mineral, lots of savory characteristics, tastes kind of like a fire without the smoke—not spicy or even hot, just that essence of fire, delicious acid but you don't even notice it as everything is so integrated, I had it with some chunky pate and sheep's milk cheese, perfect match—the wine would go excellently with most sandwiches as well (kept thinking tuna fish), the food and wine very much reminded me of a rustic meal and wine experience I had once in Burgundy (recounted here) . . . though this wine was far more elegant than rustic, and a versatile fighter, what a fantastic and incredible introduction to Poulsard. Excellent value for the $26 I paid.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: My first poulsard

by Brian K Miller » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:32 pm

As I'm sure Wink would agree, welcome to "Le Club d"Arbois"! :lol:

Check out Tissot's bottling of this varietal as well-available at one point at K&L and I know Terroir carries both producers! You should also check out the Trousseau (I like the Singulier bottling, which is about as big and international as Arbois gets) with red meat!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach