The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 J.P. Chenet Founder's Reserve Merlot-Cabernet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2007 J.P. Chenet Founder's Reserve Merlot-Cabernet

by Paul B. » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:49 pm

This oaked red from Languedoc Rousillon was given to me as a gift. It's quite neat to look at, what with the nifty bent bottle and all. At first I wasn't sure what that said about the style of the wine, but not to worry - this is a very decent table wine.

$11.95 at the LCBO. 14% alc./vol. Closed with an artifical/plastic cork.

Very dark, deep garnet colour throughout. Ethereal red fruit aromas atop darker-fruit aromas, balanced with savoury oak nuances and just a bit of green bell-pepper spice. Quite full on the palate with good balance and structure; in fact, quite well structured for a wine in its price range - a welcome thing in this day of smoothness- and flab-worship. Very pleasant oak tannin and spice, with invigorating acidity, grainy tannins, a medium body and chalkiness towards the aft-palate. Pleasant all around with spice and well-apportioned, appetizing and elegant oak spice into the finish.

As with nearly all reds of quality, this is better on day two than immediately after being opened. A natural match with roast beef and all the trimmings.

Thumbs up.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2007 J.P. Chenet Founder's Reserve Merlot-Cabernet

by Jenise » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:20 am

Good to see a tasting note from you, Paul, it's been awhile. Cool bottle--I might have bought it myself just for that, though I know such foolishness is usually rewarded with same. Hadn't considered it before but the Languedoc is probably a good place for a man with your tastes--for the most part, they're burly and big and yet not without sophistication.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:33 am

Jenise wrote:Hadn't considered it before but the Languedoc is probably a good place for a man with your tastes--for the most part, they're burly and big and yet not without sophistication.

I don't buy a lot of Languedoc wine, but you're not far off the mark at all. Some of my favourite French wines are in fact from the Southwest; Madiran is probably number one, but even there we have been deluged lately in Ontario with examples that promise "easier drinking than traditional Madiran" - to which I roll my eyes and sigh a loud "oy vey..." :roll:

Modernization is getting harder and harder to avoid - though I'll say that when I do find a burly yet well-structured Languedoc red, I'm a happy camper.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:26 am

On day three, the wine was pretty much dull and mute ... and the high alcohol really seared its way through.

Oh well - perhaps not young reds improve with aeration after all.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:41 am

Hey Paul, check out the thread here..."My second best food/wine pairing for `08" by Keith M!!