The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: US, cheap Bdx, SuperT, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: US, cheap Bdx, SuperT, etc

by Dale Williams » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:55 pm

We went to a friend's home for her birthday party last night. Her husband had an afternoon gig, but had braised lamb shanks in the AM. When he returned he prepared brussels sprouts, Betsy brought a rice pilaf, and another couple salad and garlic bread.

Birthday girl had made canapes with smoked salmon, egg, and capers, they were a nice accompaniment to the NV Gruet Brut. Floral, medium bodied, apples and a little lime, just a hint of yeast. Good value,.B

The dinner wines:

2005 Teira Zinfandel (Sonoma)
New producer to me. I don't drink that much Zin, but this was quite enjoyable. Medium bodied, fresh zinberry fruit (ripe raspberries and blackberries with a good dose of spices), moderate acidity and tannins. I'd buy. B+

2001 Terrabianca Campaccio
I've liked this moderately priced SuperT in the past, and that hold here. Rich black cherry fruit, a little bit of toasty oak but not obtrusive, a smooth almost Pomerol-ish texture. Good acidity and some tannins give it some backbone. Some Bdx-ish tobacco with time. B+

2006 Castello Monaci "Liante" Salice Salentino
Very sweet, dense for Salice Salentino, some vanillin oak. Others like a bit more than I. Seems quite modern. B-

2005 Ch. Duplessy
I didn't note appelation (this was in a decanter), but I think in past this has been a 1er Cotes de Bordeaux. Good black plum fruit, surprisingly hard after a couple hours in decanter, bigger than any Duplessy I've tried before. Plums, leather, and a hint of green herb. Never really seems quite ready. B-/B

Fun night with the jazz crew.

Tonight Betsy made mung bean/ham/spinach soup. Some hot chiles, so I went with a wine with some RS. Normally I drink more Kabinett and Spatlese at table, but I decided to risk the chance that an Auslese would be too sweet. The 1994 Emrich-Schonleber Monzinger Halenberg Riesling Auslese has plenty of RS (more than the recent vonOth '97), but there was still plenty of acidity too. Lots of petrol, green apple and white peach fruit, with a limey/grapefruity edge to the acids that tighten it up and brighten it up. Some honied notes, but not too sweet. Nice long finish with some slate and chalk. This is a producer that I never really heard of till the last few years, but I guess they've been doing ok for a while, this is a lovely bottle of tableworthy Auslese. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: US, cheap Bdx, SuperT, etc

by Salil » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:11 pm

That SuperT sounds like a very nice wine - must keep an eye out for it.

Glad to hear the Schonleber showed so well. I really like what that estate is producing - just a shame the wines are so hard to find.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:22 am

The 1994 Emrich-Schonleber Monzinger Halenberg Riesling Auslese ..This is a producer that I never really heard of till the last few years, but I guess they've been doing ok for a while

So I guess you bought this recently? At a fair price?

A couple of years ago I really enjoyed the 1994 Emrich-Schonleber Fruhlingsplatzchen Spatlese (for $16 purchased in 2004) and was even more impressed by the 1995 Fruhlingsplatzchen Kabinett (for $11 purchased in 2004) that pumped mature composed elegance through several days.

I understand the winemaking has gotten more consistent recently? But of course those prices bring a tear to my eye as they are long long gone..
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:45 am

Rahsaan wrote:So I guess you bought this recently? At a fair price?

Yes, $15 in a private sale. I figured it was chancey, as I never really heard of them in the 90s, but quite happy with the purchase.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:41 am

Dale Williams wrote:

Yes, $15 in a private sale..

That is a good price in today's market!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:54 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:

Yes, $15 in a private sale..

That is a good price in today's market!

That is a good price in many markets, including those of years past.

Mark Lipton