The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Girardin Santenay 1er Cru La Maladiere

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: 2005 Girardin Santenay 1er Cru La Maladiere

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:42 pm

I opened this bottle two nights ago to drink with some reheated leftover salmon. I poured a glass and it showed lots of acidity, some spritz, big fruit, ending on a bitter note. It wasn't much fun to drink. I put the cork in knowing that it would be two nights later when I would get to the rest of the bottle. It wasn't recognizable as the same wine. This time, the spritz and bitterness were gone, dark fruit appeared, and the acidity was in balance, making this a delicious wine.
Diane
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

Re: WTN: 2005 Girardin Santenay 1er Cru La Maladiere

by Steve Kirsch » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:57 am

Diane, we just had the 1999 version of this wine over the weekend, and it was in fine shape, with a generous, exotic bouquet and good length. Tasted maybe just a bit oaked / smokey, but got better over the course of an hour or two. We agreed it tasted like a very good negotiant wine.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:49 am

Steve - I was very pleased with how the wine turned out. I have a couple more bottles that I won't open too soon. It seems to need a couple of years to calm down. Girardin make some very nice wines for easy drinking, and they are easy on the wallet.
Diane
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:10 am

Diane (Long Island) wrote:Steve - I was very pleased with how the wine turned out. I have a couple more bottles that I won't open too soon. It seems to need a couple of years to calm down. Girardin make some very nice wines for easy drinking, and they are easy on the wallet.

Diane

My thoughts exactly. I have always been pleasantly surprised by the Girardin wines - and often order in a restaurant knowing the highway robbery will be contained.

Love your posts by the way
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:47 pm

Thanks for the note. I like the Giradin wines but rarely love them. Have bought much lately and didn't get any of the 05s but I might try to grab some to stash away.

Jason