The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Misc. short notes from last few weeks

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

TN: Misc. short notes from last few weeks

by Jim Grow » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:44 pm

No detailed notes , just impressions.

2003 La Vieille Cure; Excellent , not jammy but full bodied and minerally. Needs a bit more time.

1999 Vieux Donjon CdP; smooth and ready to go but will improve and age at least 8 more years. Very little tar or earthyness.

2006 The Chocolate Block; from Boekenhoutskloof South Africa, almost jammy but big bright black fruit flavors. I'll age my other bottle a bit.

1999 Patrick Lessic "Les Galets Blondes" CdP, similar to the Donjon, very enjoyable.

2005 Boekenhoutskloof Semillon; an excellent Semillon, maybe the best I've ever tasted with lots of mineral and light pear flavors with a very dry finish. Probably will age very gracefully.

2006 Perrin Vacqueyras "Les Chrsitins" smokey and full bobied with lots of fruit and dustyness. Needs some more time. A bit expensive at $28 but glad I have two more.

2004 Conn Creek Limited Release Napa Cabernet Sauvignon; medium bodied decent Cal. Cabernet. Tastes like a lightish Napa Cab and priced accordingly at less than $20 IIRC.

2005 Edmunds St. John "Wylie-Fenaughty" Syrah; opened with great expectations but a disappointment. Not much going on here but maybe in a "dumb" stage. Will let my other bottles rest for a couple years.

2004 Jade Mt. La Provencale; This is nice and open for business. Pretty big and could use more time but enjoyable now.

2006 Ferrari-Carano "Siena", not exactly love-at-first-sight but close. I guess this is mostly Sangiovese but don't know the other wines in the blend. This may be my Thanksgiving red, it is very smooth with nice red and some black fruit. I will drink all mine by this time next year.

2005 Louis Martini "Napa Valley Reserve" Cabernet; not really of "reserve" quality but for $15 a nice identifiable Cal Cab. for everyday use.

2006 Writer's Block Cab Franc: made by QMS Group ? and from Lake Co. Cal. Only $13 and for that fare,I wish I had more. Not a big burly wine but with smooth tannins already and identifiable as a Cab. Franc or a slightly "different" style of Sauvignon. Who is this QMS Group???

2007 Foxglove Chardonnay; made by Varner,I really like this Chard. Crisp acidity and enough pear/apple flavors to keep it interestring. For $14, my new house Chard.

2005 Tangley Oaks Chardonnay; from Santa Barbara Co and more spicey than the Foxglove but less crisp. Nice enough but I still prefer the Foxglove

2006 Lucien Albrecht Pinot Gris "Romanus" this Alsatian seemed to improve in acidity over time, which was a good thing. Lots of Pinot Gris white fruit flavors but still slightly lacking in acidity. I'll drink these up within the next year.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: Misc. short notes from last few weeks

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:47 pm

Interesting notes Jim.

I've found all the 2005 ESJ Syrahs to be entering (or in) a "closed fist" stage where they are really just a block of stuff that is nearly impenetrable. Time to walk away. Come back later.

Good input on the Donjon. Perhaps I'll grab a '99 rather than plundering my stash of '98, '00 or '01. I love '99 CNdP.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:57 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I've found all the 2005 ESJ Syrahs to be entering (or in) a "closed fist" stage where they are really just a block of stuff that is nearly impenetrable. Time to walk away. Come back later.

Good advice, at least based upon the few bottles of 2005s I've sampled, although the Parmelee-Hill was the most approachable.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:05 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Good input on the Donjon. Perhaps I'll grab a '99 rather than plundering my stash of '98, '00 or '01. I love '99 CNdP.

The 1999 Donjon that we had about 16 months ago was just lovely, although it seemed to have a bit more complexity and "dirt" than Jim's note/bottle indicate. Opening one now should reward.
Rewinger
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:39 pm

Redwinger wrote:Good advice, at least based upon the few bottles of 2005s I've sampled, although the Parmelee-Hill was the most approachable.

Winger, have you had the 2005 Rocks and Gravel? I had it in my hand today, and decided to go with the 2003 W-F syrah instead. Picked up 2 of those at $20.99 each. PM me again please with the ESJ prices up there. Thanks.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:32 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Redwinger wrote:Good advice, at least based upon the few bottles of 2005s I've sampled, although the Parmelee-Hill was the most approachable.

Winger, have you had the 2005 Rocks and Gravel? I had it in my hand today, and decided to go with the 2003 W-F syrah instead. Picked up 2 of those at $20.99 each. PM me again please with the ESJ prices up there. Thanks.

Bob-
I have not tasted the 05 R&G as yet, but hope to correct that shortly.
PM sent.
Bill
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:37 pm

Redwinger wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I've found all the 2005 ESJ Syrahs to be entering (or in) a "closed fist" stage where they are really just a block of stuff that is nearly impenetrable. Time to walk away. Come back later.

Good advice, at least based upon the few bottles of 2005s I've sampled, although the Parmelee-Hill was the most approachable.

Even that P-H strikes me as rather austere around the edges and best to be held at this point.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:54 pm

You won't go wrong with 03 WF or 05 RG. It just depends whether you're in the mood for 100% syrah or the blend. You can probably hold the WF longer, but it depends on preferences.

Haven't had either recently so don't know how they're doing, but I can imagine the 05 RG being in an awkward place.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:03 pm

Redwinger wrote:Bob-I have not tasted the 05 R&G as yet, but hope to correct that shortly. PM sent. Bill

Let me know what you think of the R&G, it is the same price as the 2003 W-F and is likely worth that as that price does in fact include all tax. I am sipping a 1993 Mondavi cabernet tonight. Had it with some stew for a winters night dinner, and it is too good to put down.
Bob Henrick