The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Worst Wine in Eons

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

Worst Wine in Eons

by Bernard Roth » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:21 am

2008 Montes Cherub Rose of Syrah

This is from Colchagua Valley, Chile. Comes with screw top. Purchased at Costco. Just about every fault one can find with a young wine that isn't TCA. Foul, fecal, brett, slight secondary fermentation. Just horrible taste.

This is going back to Costco.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Worst Wine in Eons

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:49 am

Lots of reds flags for me on that one: Chilean Syrah, cute name, Costco...
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:32 am

so.....what, like 88 points? :wink:
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:49 am

I had a cloying experience with Montes cabernet recently, but was told that their Syrah is the only exception to the jammy, super mature, over-the-top house style. While this is not the Syrah, is bodes ill for their ability to use the grape...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:39 am

Funny, I just had a guy at a store recommend that too me last week. Didn't buy it though, but might have tried in the future - maybe not now.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:44 pm

SO...avoid all Chilean Syrah? I have to admit I tried one that I liked last year-Azul Profundo, that was quite nicely savory and meaty with good fruit.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:58 pm

Well I have not tried them all, but I've never had one I liked.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:26 pm

I've never had any problem with the Apalta Vd. Cab, and like the Syrah as a possible ringer for Rhones.

The 'M' and the Folly are quite good, but unfortunately also quite expensive ($80 range)

Maybe they've changed their style since I was drinking them regularly, but jammy wouldn't have been the adjective I'd have associated with Montes. OTOH, how much of a surprise can it be that a low end Rose turns out to be crap?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:09 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:I had a cloying experience with Montes cabernet recently, but was told that their Syrah is the only exception to the jammy, super mature, over-the-top house style. While this is not the Syrah, is bodes ill for their ability to use the grape...

Oswaldo, while this might make me sound snobby, I'll say it anyway. I don't buy entry level Chilean wines at all. I just find them pretty much as what you wrote above. I will say though that I fully enjoy the Montes Alpha red wines, even their merlot and I don't drink much new world merlot. Their alpha cabernet is better than many west coast cabs in the same price range, as is the Alpha syrah. I expect the Folly syrah is a very good example too, but at $80 I "ain't" about to find out. The Montes regular bottle of pinot is certainly drinkable at or about $12, but drinkable is all I will give it. I am not big on either their sauvignon blanc, nor the chardonnay.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:30 am

I bought it as a wine that my wife could open (within her comfort price-range) when I was not in town. She knows enough to not go poking through the cellar, since she doesn't know what is cheap and replaceable. That she and her friend barely drank any and she said it didn't taste good - that says pretty much all you need to know. When I got home the next day and confirmed how bad the wine is, well, it seem indicative of the wine, not the bottle.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:16 am

Bernard Roth wrote:2008 Montes Cherub Rose of Syrah

This is from Colchagua Valley, Chile. Comes with screw top. Purchased at Costco. Just about every fault one can find with a young wine that isn't TCA. Foul, fecal, brett, slight secondary fermentation. Just horrible taste.

This is going back to Costco.

Bernard,

I have had this wine in earlier vintages, and while I don't like it as well as some South of France rosé wines that I drink every summer, I did not find it as you found yours to be. I think that your bottle must have been a really bad bottle, IIRC I have seen this wine (2007 vintage) touted as having been rated (for all that matters) at 92 points. See here: http://www.monteswines.com/english/noticias/091108a.htm

Hmmm, after posting the link, I decided to go back and read the page in it's entirety, and IC things that make me rethink the wine. One statement was this one "Lengthy, fruit-driven finish with balanced, controlled sweetness. For full specs go to this web page and click on Technical data.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:24 pm

A friend of ours brought a bottle of the Cherub over last Saturday night and it was nothing like you describe, Bernard. I thought it was a pretty nice, basic rose. It was clean and dry but had some nice fruit to go with it. Definitely no indication of off-flavors or secondary fermentation.

Now the question is, how many bad bottles are out there vs. how many good ones?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:27 pm

BobH, you opening a Marsanne tomorrow?!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:18 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:BobH, you opening a Marsanne tomorrow?!

We aren't doing a big dinner tomorrow Bob, in fact we will go out, and BYOB is not permitted here. I had a bottle of the 2002 marsanne earlier this week though.
Bob Henrick