The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: MàV, Musar & LdH whites, CdR, Morellino di Scansano

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: MàV, Musar & LdH whites, CdR, Morellino di Scansano

by Saina » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:47 pm

Joseph Drouhin Moulin-à-Vent 2007 13,90€; 13% abv; 4,5g/l acidity; (price is up again, I see...)

Most vintages of this have graced my table regularly since it is (sorry, was) cheap but true to its origins. I found the '07 to have been one of the best of '02-'07 that I've had, though I do miss that I didn't cellar more '04 since that transformed from a greenish wine into a beautifully understated MàV.

Cherry, ripe red fruit, some damp earth. It is very perfumed and I routinely like young Beaujolais on the second day open because the estery and fruity scents aren't so strong, but rather the rocky fruit and earthy characteristics come out with greater clarity. Ripe fruit, refreshingly noticeable tannins, moderate acidity (seems higher than what the technical sheet would imply), long, slightly mineral aftertaste. Very enjoyable though not at the highest level of Beaujolais.

Château Musar Blanc 1999 21,50€; 12,5% abv; Merwah & Obaideh grapes (Merwah is possibly an ancestor of Sémillon; Obaideh (=Arabic: "the little slave/servant girl") is possibly that of Chardonnay); IIRC from some of the highest vineyards in the Biq'a-valley

Yummy.

Lopez de Heredia Viña Tondonia Reserva 1989 12,5% c.17€

Also yummy.

The Musar and the LdH are remarkably similar: both have orange, old colour yet seemingly have lots of life in them. Both are full of sweet orange scents and are slightly oxidative, both are waxy and quite full bodied, both are deep and earthy. I love both. The LdH has a bit more acidity, but both are refreshing. Lovely wines both of them.

Eric Texier* Côtes du Rhône Rouge 2005 80% Grenache + 20% Roussanne, Clairette & Grenache Blanc

This is a truly wonderful wine. Full of red fruit, savoury despite the ripe Grenache aromas. Refreshing, with a spine of acidity running through the fleshy fruit, soft tannins, red fruit aromas despite some "gras". A product of a warm year but it is still incredibly refreshing and moreish. Lovely wine. There is also an American release with a multicoloured label which is a different blend to this, lighter and more feminine according to Mr. Texier - I would love to taste the American blend, too!

Tenute Loacker Morellino di Scansano Valdifalco 2006 14,95€; 14,5% abv; Sangiovese 87% the rest Syrah and Cab Sauv; 18 months in French and Slavonian oak of which 15% are new, a quarter of the wine was in Barrique; biodynamic.

The scent is a bit muddled: it started with some attractive, if rather ripe, Sangiovese aromas of bright red fruit/cherry and sandalwood and a delightful touch of funk. Unfortunately it turned to darker tones with air, and it seemed like the 13% Syrah and Cab Sauv and the Barrique took over. It is rare that I find the palate more interesting than the nose, but so it was here. As with many biodynamic wines, it was vibrant and very lively, bright despite the wine's copious fruit, with delightfully upright and refreshing tannins. A shame about the international and anonymous scent as I like the taste.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: MàV, Musar & LdH whites, CdR, Morellino di Scansano

by Jenise » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:09 pm

Friends and I were discussing Musar the other night. Or rather, I was telling them about it. And they asked, what other world class wines come from there? And I said none, just this one. And they asked, why? So I wanted to put that to you: why has no one gone where Mssr. Hochar goes?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:33 pm

Jenise wrote: why has no one gone where Mssr. Hochar goes?

Wars and stuff like that?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:50 pm

Dave R wrote:

Well, that explains only why Constellation Brands hasn't decided to open a winery there, but not why individual growers don't aspire to make great wine there since it's been proven that the land is capable of it. I know there are more vineyards than just Musar's.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:21 pm

Dave R wrote:

The war might have been an excuse until 1990 since when it has for the most part been peaceful in the Biq'a, notwithstanding the occasional explosion due to the complex politics of Israel-Syria-Lebanese Shi'ites. But I would argue, that Lebanon has actually followed everywhere else since 1990 in producing very well made wines - but sadly most other than Musar are in a rather international style, like the Comte de M from Kefraya. Then there are new producers like Massaya that are also making great stuff if you happen to like a "modern" style of wine. So yes, there are wines that are on a very high level for those who like that style, and sadly that style is prevalent everywhere these days.

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:49 pm

Have long loved the Texier style... lovely wines..
Cheers, Jim