The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: NZ wines - Pyramid Valley and Jurassic Cab Franc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: NZ wines - Pyramid Valley and Jurassic Cab Franc

by Jay Labrador » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:42 am

I received an invitation over the weekend to attend a Light Liquid Lunch with Lester Harvey of Zen Asia- Manila's top importer of boutique kiwi wines. When I learned that Pyramid Valley was among the wines to be tasted, how could I refuse?

Pyramid Valley Growers Selection Hille Vineyard Semillon 2006 - From Marlborough. I rarely encounter varietal Semillon, let alone one from NZ so this was quite interesting not just for me but for everyone at the lunch. Straw yellow. Rich, fleshy wine but with a crisp acidity to provide some structure. Excellent ripe fruit. There is a bit of oak here but it's very gentle and definitely adds to the considerable complexity. Round, complete and an excellent drink now. Slightly herbal nose with some citrus rind in the long finish. Excellent and probably the best non-dessert Semillon I've had.

As the other Pyramid Valley wine had 45 grams rs, we moved on to the red before coming back to Pyramid Valley for dessert.

Jurassic Ridge Cabernet Franc 2006 - From Waiheke. Dark, but this wine's body is rather light. Sweet, ripe fruit but still young and tannic. Leathery and smoky. New World flavors married to French texture. Good length. Juicy and straightforward. A good wine but at $ 39.00, expensive for what it offers.

Pyramid Valley Growers Selection Lebecca Valley Riesling 2006 - Also from Marlborough. Very sweet and ripe. At least Spatlese but probably more like Auslese in German terms. Crisp and well-balanced. A real crowd pleaser but has the stuffing to grab the attention of more serious drinkers. The citrus aspect is quite strong and there is a distinct bitter/sweet pomelo flavor in the finish. Excellent.

This tasting confirms my initial impression of Pyramid Valley as near the top of New Zealand's wine heirarchy.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Jamie Goode

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:31 am

Re: WTN: NZ wines - Pyramid Valley and Jurassic Cab Franc

by Jamie Goode » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:01 pm

Yes, Pyramid Valley is very exciting - I visited a year ago and was really impressed.
Best wishes
Jamie Goode
http://www.wineanorak.com/blog
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: NZ wines - Pyramid Valley and Jurassic Cab Franc

by Salil » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:26 pm

Those sound great. I've got a bottle of the Lebecca Vyd Riesling that I'm probably going to open quite soon - looking forward to it after that note.