The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN/Wine Advisor: Affordable holiday red

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

WTN/Wine Advisor: Affordable holiday red

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:14 am

Affordable holiday red

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day in the U.S., and if you're looking for a last-minute bottle (or two) of wine to accompany the holiday feast, allow me to refer you to last year's thorough analysis, "Heritage holidays."

For today, though, with Thanksgiving falling amid unusual financial worries over much of the world, worries that for many people cast a shadow over a whole-hearted giving of thanks, let's single out a specific, recently tasted wint that makes a fine companion with the holiday feast without costing a holiday price.

The wine, Michele Chiarlo 2006 "Le Orme" Barbera d'Asti, comes in at just a buck over $10 in this region, and may be available in some markets for less. Its crisp, tart red-fruit flavors are reminiscient of cranberries (see "the cranberry sauce rule" in last year's article linked above); and with its crisp, mouth-watering acidity, Barbera makes an exceptional companion with a variety of foods, including the traditional spread on the Thanksgiving banquet table.

Michele Chiarlo 2006 "Le Orme" Barbera d'Asti ($10.99)

Very dark reddish-purple, with a clear garnet edge. Red-berry fruit, something like cranberries (only half-joking, perhaps a candidate for the Thanksgiving table), backed by subtle earthy, woody notes that stay well beneath the fruit. Tart cranberry flavors well shaped by zippy acidity, a good food wine with a variety of meat and poultry courses. U.S. importer: Kobrand Corp., NYC. (Nov. 24, 2008)

FOOD MATCH: As noted, it would be a fine, affordable companion to the holiday feast. We enjoyed it on a non-holidy work night with leftover chuck roast and garlicky mashed potatoes from a local restaurant.

VALUE: A wine of this quality in the $10 range makes a splendid "recession-buster."

WHEN TO DRINK: Barbera d'Asti falls into the happy category of wine that's delicious young and capable of cellaring. The winery suggests keeping it for up to seven years.

WEB LINK:
The winery Website is available in English and Italian. Here's a link to the fact sheet on "Le Orme" Barbera d'Asti.
http://www.chiarlo.it/english/vini/le_o ... a_vino.htm

FIND THIS WINE ONLINE:
Find vendors and compare prices for Michele Chiarlo "Le Orme" Barbera d'Asti on Wine-Searcher.com:
http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/Chiar ... g_site=WLP

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

Re: WTN/Wine Advisor: Affordable holiday red

by Keith M » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:07 pm

Robin Garr wrote:The wine, Michele Chiarlo 2006 "Le Orme" Barbera d'Asti, comes in at just a buck over $10 in this region, and may be available in some markets for less.

That's pretty impressive. The last time I had Le Orme in 2005, I paid 12 bucks for it. Good to hear they are able to keep the prices down.
no avatar
User

Paul Noga

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:31 pm

by Paul Noga » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:31 pm

I've been looking for the 2006, as my local wine store is still carrying the 2005. I've enjoyed this wine for years, considering it a price performer.

It is interesting that the Wine Spectator recently rated this wine an 88. Robin, while I know at times you've been at odds with both WS and others on the qualities they look at to rate their wines, it is good to see there are areas of agreement, and for that we can give thanks (appropriate for this time of year, no? :lol: )

Best to everyone this holiday season.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:43 pm

Very happy this is a good one. In our experience their performance has been spotty over the years.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:48 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:In our experience their performance has been spotty over the years.

Really. I've generally found it a reliable performer, although - I don't really recall - it probably wasn't much in 2002, a wet and cold year in Northern Italy.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:54 pm

In the past, I have found their entry level Nebbiolo to be a nice quaffer for ~$15. Not other-worldly, but decent QPR...plus NJ likes it :wink:
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!