The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Gamay Shelter!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Steve Edmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

709

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:05 am

Location

Berkeley, CA

Gamay Shelter!

by Steve Edmunds » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:05 pm

It's the prettiness of the best cru Beaujolais that keeps me coming back, especially in Spring and Summer, (indeed it's the same thing that propelled me into the nearly unfathomable notion that I could actually produce wine like that in California--and sell it!) so, over the last couple of days I've opened two of my most favorite of the genre.
Unfortunately the bottle I opened Tuesday, 2004 Fleurie, Clos de la Roilette seemed to have gone into a funk; the nose was uncharacteristically dirty (not stinky, just missing all the freshness, the florality, the bright and lively fruit. The flavors carried over the dirt, making the wine's naturally high acidity unpleasantly sharp. I've had wines from the Rhone (both North and South) that have done this, and it's most disappointing. I'm hoping this is just an anomalous bottle.

Last night I opened the 2004 Chateau Thivin, Cote de Brouilly hoping to satisfy the craving that had provoked opening the Fleurie the night before. Thivin is, at it's best, the wine that captures everything I love about this kind of wine. But I was out of luck again. The nose wasn't as cut off as the Roilette, but the character was compromised; instead of strawberries and pepper, there was a smell like slightly bad charcuterie, and some non-descript red fruit. You could drink it, but knowing the way it had tasted in previous examples, it was a mighty letdown. What the hell's going on here?
These bones were NOT jolly :(
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
User avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Posts

22383

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Location

Connecticut

Re: Gamay Shelter!

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:46 pm

Nice notes, but KILLER title!
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Posts

10494

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Location

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Gamay Shelter!

by James Roscoe » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:50 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Nice notes, but KILLER title!

Do you think he was "Stoned" when he came up with the title? Or was Steve just "Rolling"?
User avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Posts

1929

Joined

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:50 pm

Location

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Artiste du vin! Musicien inspiré! And a punster, too!

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:22 pm

That title provided today's best smile.
User avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1517

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:47 pm

Location

Phoenix metro

Re: Gamay Shelter!

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:34 am

It's always Beatles vs. Stones, isnt it?
Instead of Strawberry Fields and Sgt. Pepper, you get old, dirty Glimmer Twins.
User avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

832

Joined

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:31 pm

Location

Asheville, NC

Re: Gamay Shelter!

by Dave Erickson » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:40 am

Proof again, unfortunately, that there are no great wines, only great bottles.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Posts

10494

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Location

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Gamay Shelter!

by James Roscoe » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:43 am

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:It's always Beatles vs. Stones, isnt it?
Instead of Strawberry Fields and Sgt. Pepper, you get old, dirty Glimmer Twins.


Can't you have both? A little strawberry, apple, stones and plenty of acid. The sixties were great for wine descriptors, and I was only ten in '69.
User avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1517

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:47 pm

Location

Phoenix metro

Re: Gamay Shelter!

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:50 am

Can't you have both? A little strawberry, apple, stones and plenty of acid.
Sounds like an urzinger wurzgarten riesling!

I was only ten in '69.
Funnily enough, ditto here.
User avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Posts

22383

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Location

Connecticut

Re: Gamay Shelter!

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:54 am

I was only 2 in '69 (I'm a Sgt. Pepper baby), but the Beatles rule the world.

Of course it could be the Spencer Davis Group...Gamay some lovin'...
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Posts

10494

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Location

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Gamay Shelter!

by James Roscoe » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:57 am

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:
Can't you have both? A little strawberry, apple, stones and plenty of acid.
Sounds like an urzinger wurzgarten riesling!

Where can I find some?!!
Last edited by James Roscoe on Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Posts

7082

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm

Location

Sacramento, CA

Re: Gamay Shelter!

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:58 am

Or the Box Tops?

"Gamay a ticket for an aeroplane...."



Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
User avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

886

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:20 pm

Location

St. Louis

Re: Gamay Shelter!

by wrcstl » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:58 am

Steve Edmunds wrote:It's the prettiness of the best cru Beaujolais that keeps me coming back, especially in Spring and Summer, (indeed it's the same thing that propelled me into the nearly unfathomable notion that I could actually produce wine like that in California--and sell it!) so, over the last couple of days I've opened two of my most favorite of the genre.
Unfortunately the bottle I opened Tuesday, 2004 Fleurie, Clos de la Roilette seemed to have gone into a funk; the nose was uncharacteristically dirty (not stinky, just missing all the freshness, the florality, the bright and lively fruit. The flavors carried over the dirt, making the wine's naturally high acidity unpleasantly sharp. I've had wines from the Rhone (both North and South) that have done this, and it's most disappointing. I'm hoping this is just an anomalous bottle.

Last night I opened the 2004 Chateau Thivin, Cote de Brouilly hoping to satisfy the craving that had provoked opening the Fleurie the night before. Thivin is, at it's best, the wine that captures everything I love about this kind of wine. But I was out of luck again. The nose wasn't as cut off as the Roilette, but the character was compromised; instead of strawberries and pepper, there was a smell like slightly bad charcuterie, and some non-descript red fruit. You could drink it, but knowing the way it had tasted in previous examples, it was a mighty letdown. What the hell's going on here?
These bones were NOT jolly :(


Steve,
I have both of these wines in my cellar but of different vintages. Had a '02 Roilette this weekend that was one of the best (out of 55 wines) opened in three days; some real wine geek parties. It was not strawberry fields but complex bright red fruit with a hint of forest floor and definitely Beaujolais. Have you had the '04s before. Could this be representative of the vintage or is it just some off bottles? I love Beaujolais and was looking at picking up a few bottles of either of these producers.
Walt
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Posts

10494

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Location

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Gamay Shelter!

by James Roscoe » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:59 am

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:
Can't you have both? A little strawberry, apple, stones and plenty of acid.
Sounds like an urzinger wurzgarten riesling!


Where can I find some?!!!!
no avatar
User

Steve Edmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

709

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:05 am

Location

Berkeley, CA

Re: Gamay Shelter!

by Steve Edmunds » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:47 pm

Hi, Walt!
I have had the '04s before, and liked them a lot; that's why this is so disconcerting. :(
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
User avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Posts

22383

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Location

Connecticut

Re: Gamay Shelter!

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:25 pm

James Roscoe wrote:
Bill Buitenhuys wrote:
Can't you have both? A little strawberry, apple, stones and plenty of acid.
Sounds like an urzinger wurzgarten riesling!


Where can I find some?!!!!


Well Urziger Wurzgarten Rieslings are made by producers such as Merkelbach, Monchof, Christoffel and a whole host of other producers.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Posts

10494

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Location

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Gamay Shelter!

by James Roscoe » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:47 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Well Urziger Wurzgarten Rieslings are made by producers such as Merkelbach, Monchof, Christoffel and a whole host of other producers.

So I look for these producers? Are the Mosels? What other info do I need when I go to the BAWS?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign