The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Thanksgiving Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

WTN: Thanksgiving Wines

by Bernard Roth » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:54 am

90 Kalin Cellars Sauv Blanc Livermore Valley - My first Kalin, quite a good wine. Released about 3 years ago, as per the formula at Kalin. Very lovely nose, evolved, honey gold color. Very tasty, balanced with fine apply acidity. Excellent match to my creme of chestnut soup w/ foie gras and truffled creme fraiche.

2006 Clendenen Family Riesling SB County - Crisp, old-school Alsace-styled. Very dry, but fruity. Big hit as an aperitif.

2005 Perrot-Minot Bourgogne - Discovered earlier this year as a BTG selection at l'Atelier du Joel Robuchon at MGM Grand LV. Light-weight, smooth, balanced and restrained on the fruit. A lovely food wine, and pretty good with the diverse Turkey and side dishes.

2000 Araujo Cab - Showing really young, still (my second or thid bottle). Primary, plummy fruit, well-integrated tannin, but still kind of chunky. Needs another 6-8 years. After 4 hours in decanter, the wine began to mellow a bit and went pretty good with rack of lamb. Who serves rack of lamb at T-Day? I turn the questions around: Who objects to rack of lamb anytime red wine is being poured?

94 Dow Porto (375 ml) - Approachable, starting to evolve in bottle, drinking like a top LBV now, with a bit more stuffing, but could use a few more years. Quite a nice after dinner drink.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Thanksgiving Wines

by Jenise » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:29 pm

That would be the first Southern California (by my cut-off) reisling I've seen. Where does the ABC label leave off and the "Clendenen Family" label begin, btw?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:03 pm

A man after my own heart. Rack of lamb, prime rib, are my first choices for holiday dinners when I can work it out.
It depends on the crowd, some people think it's a foreign plot not to serve turkey. :roll:
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:33 pm

Jenise,
SB County has produced Riesling for a long time. FIrestone, Austin Cellars (defunct now), SB Winery, were making it in the late-80s, early 90s. Jim Clendenen made some superior Late Harvest Riesling "Thumbs Up" back then, as did SB Winery. I think Sanford & Benedict vineyard grows it.

The ABC label is mainly for PN and Chardonnay, and blends thereof, though ABC also has bottled Mondeuse.
Jim has several other labels. Clendenen Family is a catch-all for various white wines (I don't recall any reds) like Tocai Friulano, Gewurtz, Riesling. Vita Nova covers some Italian blends and a Bordeaux blend, Il Podere dell Olivos is his main Italian label. Then he has a bunch of custom labels that he makes for restaurants.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:47 am

In the not so distant past we've enjoyed boxes of his Il Podere dell Olivos Barbera that we able to find deeply discounted. A wonderful wine.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:07 am

The 2004 Domaine Serene Two Barns Pinot Noir worked just dandy with my turkey.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:19 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:The 2004 Domaine Serene Two Barns Pinot Noir worked just dandy with my turkey.

You know what, if you and I never agree on anything else, we'll always bond on Serene pinots. Heavenly stuff.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:12 pm

Jenise wrote:
ChefJCarey wrote:The 2004 Domaine Serene Two Barns Pinot Noir worked just dandy with my turkey.

You know what, if you and I never agree on anything else, we'll always bond on Serene pinots. Heavenly stuff.

Unless you voted for the McCain/Palin team we agree on something else. Btw,I tasted the Lemelson 2007, "Meyer" Pinot Noir out of the barrel yesterday. Think it's gonna be a real winner.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT