The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2006 Bergström Vineyard, Pinot Noir, Oregon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

2006 Bergström Vineyard, Pinot Noir, Oregon

by Anders Källberg » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:47 pm

I was very pleased that Bergström's wines finally made it to Sweden this month. with John Bergström, the father of Josh, the winemaker, having grown up in the small village of Glöte in Sweden, I felt it only reasonable that their wines should be available here. Furthermore, when I visited the estate in 2003, I liked their wines very much. So tonight we tried one of the two bottlings that are sold here, the 2006 Bergström Vineyard, Pinot Noir. This vineyard is just in the heart of the Red Hills of Dundee, from where Pinot Noir from Oregon started its journey of fame around the world.

The colour is rather light red-purple.
The nose is fragrant and elegant with loads of fresh strawberries and a distinct but classy and beautifully integrated note of toasted oak. A fine and clear expression of Pinot fruit.
On the palate the wine is a bit restrained, with a fine fruity acidity and a peppery intensity. Not too pronounced, fine grained tannins. It ends peppery and intense but still elegant and rather charming. Tasting only one wine at a time is always difficult, but I could certainly imagine that I would place this fine and restrained wine in Burgundy if I were given it in a blind tasting. Beautifully crafted and certainly in the need of some years in the bottle before it will show the best of itself. A very good achievement of Josh Bergström. The other wine available over here is the de Lancelotti Vineyard. I'll be back with notes of it when I have decided to open one of those bottles. I enclose a picture of Josh in front of the de Lancelotti vyd, which is north of the Dundee hills, in Chehalem Mountains.
My Pictures0044rs50cr.jpg

Cheers,
Anders
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Anders Källberg on Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: 2006 Bergström Vineyard, Pinot Noir, Oregon

by Redwinger » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:57 pm

Anders-
Very nice note and background info.
Out of curiosity, what is the price of these wines in Sweden?
Thanks,
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:20 pm

Thanks for the note. Encouraging because I have a bottle of this on hold for a tasting, in a few years, of 06 pinots from around the world...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:40 pm

Redwinger wrote:Anders-
Out of curiosity, what is the price of these wines in Sweden?
Thanks,
Redwinger

Bill, this wine is about 500 Swedish kronor here, which is about 47 Euros and something like USD 60, though the rates are changing quickly these days. The de Lancelotti is about 10 % cheaper. How does these costs compare to those over there, or in Brazil, Oswaldo?
Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:44 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Thanks for the note. Encouraging because I have a bottle of this on hold for a tasting, in a few years, of 06 pinots from around the world...

Good for you, Oswaldo! I wish I could attend that tasting, I bet I would enjoy it thoroughly! If so, I would have liked to contribute with a bottle of Escarpments vineyard series. Well, I might in fact organize such a tasting myself, perhaps around 2011 or so.
Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:41 pm

In Brazil it's not available but in the US I found it for around $45, if I recall correctly. Some places in wine-searcher advertise it for less than $40...

The Escarpment would be prefect for an 06 global pinot tasting! I have some Chileans and Argentines lined up, and want to include the Lafarge Beaune Aigrots (which I loved when visiting Lafarge in Volnay this February) when it becomes available. Stockholm is on the other end of the earth from São Paulo, but wouldn't it be great if such a tasting were held either here or there so we could both be present? Assuming, of course, that by 2011 a way isn't found to transmit wine over the internet :roll:
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:56 pm

Anders-
The $60 price seems rightous. The winery release is ~75.
Best,
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:03 pm

We very much enjoyed these wines when we visited in August.. and Oswaldo is right.. you can find them in the US for mid $40s or so via Wine Searcher.

Also very nice style is Brick House from Oregon, but those are not easy to find.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:18 pm

James Dietz wrote:Also very nice style is Brick House from Oregon

I agree James. At least if I am allowed to judge from the wines I tasted when I visited Doug Tunell at Brick House in 2003. I had a very nice time there, using quite a lot of the time trying to explain my skepticism against much of the mumbo-jumbo of trying to connect biodynamics with quantum physics... :roll:
/A