The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: A Wee Dram

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: A Wee Dram

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:55 pm

Decided to give myself an early Christmas present and pick up a couple of single malts that were missing from my collection. Both turned out to be pretty interesting in different ways. Both were anticipated to be full flavoured as I enjoy the style.

I was searching through my wine cellar for some bottles that I know I have but couldn't locate for an upcoming lunch (found something else I'd been looking for, that is probably even better) and decided to salve my frustrated feelings with a wee little test dram of the newly acquired malts.

Finlaggan - (10 year old?) is a mystery malt from Islay, without age designation or distillery. Some have sais that it was from Laphroaig, some from Caol Ila, but the proprietor is keeping mum about it. Smoky, peaty nose with a hint of citrus. On palate, not too hot (40%) and smoky and complex . Not better with water added. Fits right into the Islay seaweedy smoky idiom, wherever it actually comes from..

Aberlour A’bunadh 12 year old – this one from Speyside was a real animal! Bottled at 60%, this cask strength whisky absolutely exudes Sherry cask when you sniff it. Almost to excess, if that is possible. In the mouth, it is actually rather approachable with not only lemony Sherry flavours but also a quite complex fruitcake thing going on, and toffee at the end of the very long finish. Tolerates water but doesn’t need it.
no avatar
User

Nigel Groundwater

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:08 pm

London, UK

Re: TN: A Wee Dram

by Nigel Groundwater » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:10 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Finlaggan - (10 year old?) is a mystery malt from Islay, without age designation or distillery. Some have sais that it was from Laphroaig, some from Caol Ila, but the proprietor is keeping mum about it. Smoky, peaty nose with a hint of citrus. On palate, not too hot (40%) and smoky and complex . Not better with water added. Fits right into the Islay seaweedy smoky idiom, wherever it actually comes from.

I have had the whisky but have never bought a bottle or realised that it was unrelated to a distillery.

This appears to be the case although I can’t think of another and one report suggests that it is because it has not been sourced from a single location but is primarily from the Laphroaig, Lagavulin and [occasionally] Caol Ila distilleries on an 'as available/decided' basis - which should surely show as a lack of continuity in taste. On the other hand I wonder how many people could tell Lagavulin from Laphroaig if drunk blind.

As [mainly] a Scot I would never turn down a dram although Islay malts, with the partial exception of Bowmore, have never been amongst my favourite malts. Very distinctive with their prominent iodine and peat components they remind me of Lapsang Souchon if I was drinking tea or a 200% new oak red with some brett if it was a wine. Interesting and complex as an experience but not as a refreshment or a regular practice.