The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN Big Basin Sri, Cristom Viognier & 05 Mt Eden Estate Cab

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN Big Basin Sri, Cristom Viognier & 05 Mt Eden Estate Cab

by Jason Hagen » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:04 pm

2006 Big Basin Vineyards Syrah Sri Red - USA, California (11/19/2008)
At $20 I had to give this Big Basin a try. Funny thing is that when I purchased it I actually thought it was the rose. Right upon opening it smelled reduced but that faded quickly. Aromatically the fruit was very present but I was caught by the white pepper, stewed veggies and meat. The Sri has a silky texture with sweet but not overly ripe fruit. Not much tannin or structure but should hold strong for a few years. Bursting with raspberry. Great marks for a seamless and friendly wine. (90 pts.)

2007 Cristom Viognier Estate - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (11/11/2008)
I really enjoyed this. Very expressive aromatics. Refreshing palate. Just plain tasty. This is a wine that keeps your interest but does not demand much thought. I think this is a step up from the 2006 version. (89 pts.)

2005 Mount Eden Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Bottled - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (10/30/2008)
I know they are young but I have really been enjoying the 05 Cabs. This was right in there, keeping its power under control. Expressive, moderately ripe aromatics with green herbs and cedar. Definitely a rich mouth feel showing lots of plums, blackberries and a good amount of oak. The fruit stays in front of the tannins so it is very easy to drink right now but it has the structure to reward cellaring. My other bottle won’t see the light of day for 7-10 years … maybe longer … or I may drink it next week. (91 pts.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN Big Basin Sri, Cristom Viognier & 05 Mt Eden Estate Cab

by Jenise » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:17 pm

Agree on the Cristom Viognier though I'd grade the 07 more than a step up from the 06 which I found a bit too ripe. Not unenjoyable, just can't help comparing wines to whichever vintage of their wine created a benchmark idea in my head, and for Cristom Viognier it was the leaner 04.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:40 pm

Jenise wrote:Agree on the Cristom Viognier though I'd grade the 07 more than a step up from the 06 which I found a bit too ripe. Not unenjoyable, just can't help comparing wines to whichever vintage of their wine created a benchmark idea in my head, and for Cristom Viognier it was the leaner 04.

The 06 was the first one I have tasted ... I don't really remember it ... but when I checked my note .. this is what I saw, "nice wine but far from inspiring. A bit of cream on the nose and some heat. The palate was more Roussanne like. Not much complexity on the palate. I enjoyed this and for the price was not disappointed but I was not wowed."

Jason
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:00 pm

What's the going rate on the Mount Eden these days (not that I should be asking...I'm just asking).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:19 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:What's the going rate on the Mount Eden these days (not that I should be asking...I'm just asking).

The Estate is between $40-$45.

J