The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Pago de Carraovejas Crianza Ribera del Duero

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2004 Pago de Carraovejas Crianza Ribera del Duero

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:00 am

2004 Pago de Carraovejas Crianza Ribera del Duero 14.5%
Interesting nose of dark cherry, iodine and touches of rhubarb and funk. The iodine sets up an expectation of saltiness that is confirmed by the tongue. Additional notes of cocoa and cloves (for me) and cinnamon (for Marcia). High acidity, but with fruit to match. The saltiness endures and makes it very compatible with cheese and other salty foods.

A reflection, and please correct me if I'm wrong: in this wine, the acidity (something perceived by the tongue) was not, as usual, offset by sweetness (also perceived by the tongue) but by strong (but not sweet) fruit (perceived by the nose). Even though retro olfaction originates in the mouth, the balance felt different. In the past, I've often referred to acid/fruit balance when I have really meant acid/sweet balance. A saline but fruity wine like this teaches me that fruit and sweetness are distinct characteristics that, because they usually come bundled, can be confused.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.