The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Colio Estate Proprietor's Selection (Ontario VQA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2007 Colio Estate Proprietor's Selection (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:48 pm

12.5% alc/vol. Purchased at the Colio retail outlet for under $9.

There is no info on this wine on Colio's website, but if I recall correctly from the technical sheet at the retail outlet, it's a blend of Gamay, Baco Noir, Zweigelt and Pinot Noir. Clear, medium-garnet hue; fully transparent yet with nice saturation. On the nose, only the Baco and Zweigelt - in essence, the "least neutral" varieties - make themselves known: Baco's peppercorn-cherry infusion mingles well with Zweigelt's easy-to-recognize white pepper - a wonderful mix; also, a bit of oak is noted. Lithe Baco acidity on the entry is met almost immediately by Zweigelt's beautiful white pepper; tart, cleansing acidity and a light body. Nice grippy tannins down the centre-line, coupled with peppery replays and subtle oak spice into the finish.

A well made blend - even if it was only a convenient gathering together of vinous leftovers, as it were; the lady at the retail outlet was mum on that when I suggested it with a wink.

I'll be buying more.