The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

BTN: Cantillon, Chimay, Lost Abbey

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

BTN: Cantillon, Chimay, Lost Abbey

by Keith M » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:00 am

2007 Cantillon Classic Gueuze. Brussels, Belgium. (gueuze) crown cap on cork closure, with bottling year printed on cork – imported to USA by Shelton Brothers, Belchertown, Massachusetts - appears hazy apricot, fizzy, white head and lacing, smell tart yeast, bit of apricot sweetness mixed in there, but don't be fooled, this is tart yeastiness, tangy, nice, very wafting element to flavor, the mouthfeel is gentle and calm, wow, this beer is utterpeacefullness, tender, complex, tasty with phenomenal lightness, my first gueuze—what a phenomenal experience worth multiples of the $17 pricetag for 1 pint, 9.4 ounces. Fantastic while I snacked on peanuts while preparing fat noodle stir-fry with bok choy, mushrooms and pork meatloaf; excellent with peanuts, not a good match for the sweetness of the noodle dish. From producer: a blend of one, two, and three year-old lambics, refermented in this bottle. Jean Van Roy, master brewer.

Interesting info on producer website including this tidbit: In the 18th century, a Benedictine monk, dom Pérignon, discovers the champaign method by blending different non sparkling white wines. One century later, a Brabant brewer blends different lambics and brings about a spontaneous fermentation in the bottle. The Gueuze is born.

Chimay (Scourmount Abbey) Tripel (White Label). Belgium. (tripel) crown cap on 33 cl bottle, 8% - imported to USA by Mannenken-Brussel Imports, Austin, Texas – appears light apricot color, smell broad open tangerine, prunes, so broad its almost flat, though clearly it isn't, nice as it opens, taste dirty gold and apple fields, strong and sweet, buttery intensity, intensity distracts at first, almost feels hot, yet the combination of lightness and intensity takes on an increasing interest, it is narrow and sweet without any hint of syrupy characteristics, hints of foamy dryness, I liked it but did find it a bit of a challenge to drink, likable though, $5 for 33 cl.

Chimay (Scourmount Abbey) Première (Red Label). Belgium. (dubbel) crown cap on 33 cl bottle, 7% - imported to USA by Mannenken-Brussel Imports, Austin, Texas – appears brown with tan head, smell fragrant, thick and full, tiny bit of sweaty sock, funky, nice nose, mouthfeel is narrow and an attack, taste certain depth, cloves, spices, herbs, very nice, I found this pretty accessible and lovely, $5 for 33 cl.

Chimay (Scourmount Abbey) Grande Réserve (Blue Label). Belgium. (belgian strong dark ale) crown cap on 33 cl bottle, 9% - imported to USA by Mannenken-Brussel Imports, Austin, Texas – appears very dark brownish black, smell woodsy simple, malty ginger, gingerbread, very nice nose indeed, mouthfeel is thick, taste is high alcohol and intense, syrup, far too intense at first, but as it opens up, wonderful qualities come to the fore, still very very powerful and very malty, but good balance, and interesting things going on, I'd be willing to put some of this away and come back to it in a few years, it's a bit big to drink right now, $6 for 33 cl.

The Lost Abbey (Port Brewing) Inferno Ale. San Marcos, California (Belgian strong pale ale) sparkling wine-type mushroom cork with wire cage, 8.5% - appears yellow cloudy golden color, huge white head, lacing, smell intense wheat/tangerine, very inviting and very fresh, mouthfeel quite sharp with carbonation, easy flow, taste wonderful fresh hip fruit, bit tart with touch of yeast, but actually a dollop of sweetness which made it go down easy, tastes very refreshing, lovely, very drinkable, just a tasty one. I'll revisit this one. $9 for 1 pint, 9.4 ounces.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: BTN: Cantillon, Chimay, Lost Abbey

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:20 am

All of these beer notes are going to get you kicked out of the German wine geek club. :wink:

Dirty gold is a flavor I don't understand. Apple fields works though.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:48 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Dirty gold is a flavor I don't understand..

I'm not sure what Keith was getting at but I often find off flavors in beer that make me think they have been improperly treated at some point in their life. It seems the beer channels are even less reliable than the wine ones.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:50 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Dirty gold is a flavor I don't understand. Apple fields works though.

Think dirty metallic, but not unpleasant, as there is some brightness. Pretty odd--both to taste and to describe.
Rahsaan wrote:I often find off flavors in beer that make me think they have been improperly treated at some point in their life. It seems the beer channels are even less reliable than the wine ones.

It seems that the shortest time spent in distribution channels seems to be the best guarantee--too many opportunities for weak links along the way.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:57 pm

As I've probably mentioned a million times, Cantillon is one of my favourite beverages (i.e. in the same league as Musar or old Pu Erh tea on the pure enjoyment I get). The Gueuze is great, great stuff and epitomizes what the style should be about, but what it too rarely is since the soda pop Gueuzes came into fashion - I guess there are only a couple producers apart from Cantillon making the proper stuff anymore: Drei Fonteinen & Boon(? - hadn't had any in years), but anyone else? But light and calm? I would have said almost painfully intense and racy!

Most Chimays I've had have disappointed. My colleague from the bookshop is a huge beer fan and he has kindly opened up some Chimays from the late '80s which were wonderful beers. But something seems to have changed - IMO for the worse - since now they are sweet, short on hops, unintense and very clean in their scents. I haven't seen any animal scents in recent bottlings. My colleague stated that it was in the mid-'90s or so that they radically changed the way they make the beer. I think it is a shame as it has become very mainstream and boring.

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Most Chimays I've had have disappointed...My colleague stated that it was in the mid-'90s or so that they radically changed the way they make the beer. I think it is a shame as it has become very mainstream and boring.

-O

Interesting. I first went to Belgium in 1997 and loved the Chimay, along with many other beers..

Recently I have been less impressed with Chimay drunk in the US and UK although I didn't know how much of that was an issue of storage conditions or the fact that my palate has evolved since 1997 (which was my first exposure to those types of beers).

I don't know how it plays into this, but I also suspected that they have increased output since it is now available in almost every bar and store in the US and UK that pretends to have a good beer selection.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:05 pm

Keith M wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:I often find off flavors in beer that make me think they have been improperly treated at some point in their life. It seems the beer channels are even less reliable than the wine ones.

It seems that the shortest time spent in distribution channels seems to be the best guarantee--too many opportunities for weak links along the way.

Yes, I guess the key is to do homework about the best outlets for purchasing the stuff. Much like with wine!
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:32 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Most Chimays I've had have disappointed. [snip] they are sweet, short on hops, unintense and very clean in their scents. [snip] it has become very mainstream and boring.

Interesting. Though I didn't find them to be the most fascinating beers, and perhaps not to my stylistic preferences, but I wouldn't say I found them overly sanitized. But also not interesting enough to make me pine for them--so point taken.
no avatar
User

TonyVel

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:28 pm

by TonyVel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:47 pm

Keith - where did you drink these? Or did you buy them somewhere and take them home?

We live pretty close to the Trappiste in Oakland and love to pop in for the occasional beer...wonderful place, terrific selection.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:47 pm

Otto writes.......and he has kindly opened up some Chimays from the late '80s which were wonderful beers.

Do these beers last that long? Who would have thought.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:12 am

TonyVel wrote:Keith - where did you drink these? Or did you buy them somewhere and take them home?

We live pretty close to the Trappiste in Oakland and love to pop in for the occasional beer...wonderful place, terrific selection.

Hi, Tony.

I had these at home. I think I've been to the Trappiste once. Had a nice flight of beers on draft, if I recall correctly. I should return again sometime--especially as you recommend their selection.