The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

When a wine deal is a steal

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Pollard

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:53 pm

San Diego

When a wine deal is a steal

by Mike Pollard » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:40 pm

We have been back from our 3,000km trip through NSW, ACT, VIC and SA wine country for a few weeks now and I thought I would do a little internet searching for some of the wines we could only bring back in small quantity, most were just a bottle or two among the two doz bottles we brought back.

Miranda's favorite dessert wine is Seppeltfield Tokay but its simply not available in the USA (at the present) so I chased up a few others, and found Campbells 'Isabella' Rare Tokay for $39.99USD or $24.99USD in 6-pack. Seeing as how we paid around $100AUD (around $64USD) each for a couple of bottles of this just a few weeks ago I'd say a more than 50% price reduction is a steal. I think I could learn to like the falling interest in Aussie wines coupled with the recession!

Anyone score any deals on Aussie wines recently?

Mike
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: When a wine deal is a steal

by Hoke » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:49 pm

Mike Pollard wrote:We have been back from our 3,000km trip through NSW, ACT, VIC and SA wine country for a few weeks now and I thought I would do a little internet searching for some of the wines we could only bring back in small quantity, most were just a bottle or two among the two doz bottles we brought back.

Miranda's favorite dessert wine is Seppeltfield Tokay but its simply not available in the USA (at the present) so I chased up a few others, and found Campbells 'Isabella' Rare Tokay for $39.99USD or $24.99USD in 6-pack. Seeing as how we paid around $100AUD (around $64USD) each for a couple of bottles of this just a few weeks ago I'd say a more than 50% price reduction is a steal. I think I could learn to like the falling interest in Aussie wines coupled with the recession!

Anyone score any deals on Aussie wines recently?

Mike

Mike, the Campbell wines from Rutherglen have always been a steal. They're just a bit more of a steal now than they were before. :wink:

Hoke
(who brought a bottle of Campbell's Rutherglen Tokay stickie to Thanksgiving dinner with friends, with all it's wonderful toffee-chocolaty deliciositiness making it the hit of the night)
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:03 pm

I've been buying quite a few Aussies recently at dirt-cheap prices. Found a lone bottle of the 02 Veritas Hanisch at USD 25, which is probably the best deal I've ever come across. Also bought some Wild Duck Creek Springflats at 22ish and some Cullen Diana Madeline at just over $30.

[I'd also note that I bought some 97 Glaetzer Shiraz at 10 bucks - yes, ten - but don't consider it a steal, as the wine was god-awful, simply undrinkable and not even worthy of that price tag.]
no avatar
User

Mike Pollard

Rank

Ultra geek

San Diego

by Mike Pollard » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:04 pm

Hoke,

Being an expat Aussie I'm in full agreement that Australian fortifieds are the most undervalued and underappreciated wines in the world. No where is the uniqueness of these wines more evident than at Seppeltsfield where you can stand in front of a barrel of wine that will only be bottled when you are 100 years old!

Mike
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:11 pm

Mike Pollard wrote:Being an expat Aussie I'm in full agreement that Australian fortifieds are the most undervalued and underappreciated wines in the world.

SHHH! :wink:

BTW Mike, have you ever tried any of the De Bortoli fortifieds?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:08 am

Mike, I couldn't agree more on Aussie stickies---especailly those of Rutherglen----being amongst the most under-rated and undervalued in the world.

Had occasion a few years ago to do a "Great Stickies of the World" seminar at the SWE Annual Conference. In the middle of some rather outstanding worldwide selections (Royal Tokay 5 puttyonos, Vintage Port, Reserve Madeira, German Eiswein, Ch. d'Yquem and others) the Campbell's Muscat more than held it's own.

On top of that, Malcolm is a first-rate guy, one of the best.

Salil: I've had some deBortoli sweeties, as in LH Botrytised SB, but never seen the fortifieds.

I have a small bottle of The Noble One stuck way in the back of the rack, way down low and out of sight, so it has a chance to mature a little before I can't resist any longer.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:03 am

Aussie wines are such a bargain right now that Salil even got me to buy some of that Cullen. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:04 am

Mike, speaking of bargains I barely missed the 04 John Riddoch at $17 a few weeks ago. You might have encountered the same offer--being in Southern California, I presume you're familiar with Southern Hemisphere Wines in Huntington Beach?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Pollard

Rank

Ultra geek

San Diego

by Mike Pollard » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:04 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:
Mike Pollard wrote:Being an expat Aussie I'm in full agreement that Australian fortifieds are the most undervalued and underappreciated wines in the world.

SHHH! :wink:

BTW Mike, have you ever tried any of the De Bortoli fortifieds?

Salil,

Never tried any De Bortoli fortifieds, didn't know they made any. We were very fortunate that during dinner with Roger Pike at his Marius vineyards he brought out a 750 ml bottle of Noble One from the early 1980's - past its luscious best but still very sound and an interesting bit of Aussie stickie history.

We did try fortifieds outside Rutherglen including a beautiful Muscat at Kay Bros in McLaren Vale and the fortified range by Wayne Dutschke, and last but not least the fortifieds of Seppeltsfield that come from the Barossa and Rutherglen. Also worthy of a mention are the (very) sweet whites of Hobbs Vintners (Barossa Ranges) - a little pricey but worth chasing down esp. the Viognier.

Mike
no avatar
User

Mike Pollard

Rank

Ultra geek

San Diego

by Mike Pollard » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:08 pm

Jenise wrote:Mike, speaking of bargains I barely missed the 04 John Riddoch at $17 a few weeks ago. You might have encountered the same offer--being in Southern California, I presume you're familiar with Southern Hemisphere Wines in Huntington Beach?

Jenise,

Yep, these are the same guys that have the Campbells deal. In fact they have had some excellent deals in the past year or so. Its a pity that their web site fails me so often when I want to order more than the one wine.

Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:14 pm

Mike Pollard wrote:
Jenise wrote:Mike, speaking of bargains I barely missed the 04 John Riddoch at $17 a few weeks ago. You might have encountered the same offer--being in Southern California, I presume you're familiar with Southern Hemisphere Wines in Huntington Beach?

Jenise,

Yep, these are the same guys that have the Campbells deal. In fact they have had some excellent deals in the past year or so. Its a pity that their web site fails me so often when I want to order more than the one wine.

Mike

From experience, their website is generally quite out of date. They don't have a lot of the wines you see listed there as in stock, and they often sell out of sought-after things before they get on the website. Best bet: call, place all orders live. Oliver, John and Greg are always happy to help and that way you know you're in. If I'd followed my own advice a few weeks ago, I'd probably have not missed the Riddochs.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:16 pm

Mike Pollard wrote:Salil,

Never tried any De Bortoli fortifieds, didn't know they made any. We were very fortunate that during dinner with Roger Pike at his Marius vineyards he brought out a 750 ml bottle of Noble One from the early 1980's - past its luscious best but still very sound and an interesting bit of Aussie stickie history.

That old Noble One sounds lovely, Mike. If they didn't taste so delicious young it might be easier to lock a couple away for a few years.

I'm not sure where the De Bortoli fortifieds are available, but we tasted some really fantastic stuff at their cellar door in the Yarra Valley. In the flight of stickies, they had started with the Noble One - then moved onto a 'Show Liqueur Muscat', a tawny and then the 'Black Noble' - which was from a solera of fortified botrytis Semillon. The Muscat/Tawny were very good, on par with a lot of other wines in that style in Aus - the Black Noble though was freaking amazing. Probably the best non-German sweet wine I've come across in my life so far.