The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Beaujolais (including a H2S flaw), a Burg, a Saut

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

TN: Beaujolais (including a H2S flaw), a Burg, a Saut

by David Z » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:05 am

Over the weekend:
2000 Michel Gaunoux Volnay Clos des Chenes: ~$25 at Garnet right now. Light, and very old looking and tasting when first opened, but strangely put on weight after a day under light vacuvining. Violets, butterscotch, sour cherries, spice. A little on the light side for the vineyard, but elegant mature Burg.

1989 Suduiraut (ex-chateau, reconditioned 2007): medium gold. dried apricot, spice, nice acidity, a little shorter than I would have hoped. Not nearly as good as the 2001, which is my other experience with Suduiraut. Not noticably tired or oxidized, like other have reported with the reconditioned Sud's, but not exactly singing, either.

Tonight at a Beaujolais tasting:

Duboeuf 2006 Morgon: I hate to admit it, but very nice in a plain way. Juicy candied cherry, good acidity, went down easy.

Clos de la Roilette 2007: Really nice sap and density, but sort of dark-fruited and not very gamay-like. One of the good things about these tastings is that we get a lot of wine-virgins there who will call out a taste-descriptor that you'd never think of using, but perfectly describes the wine. Tonight, someone called this "minestrone soup", and they were dead on; it had a real vegetal note. Not the best rendition of this wine that I've had.

Chateau de La Chaize 2006 Brouilly: Strong rotting cabbage nose: everyone was complaining. All the bottles had it to some degree. I dropped pennies in the bottles, swirled, and voila, a wine appeared. Nice enough: an unusual chocolate note that was sort of out of place, but otherwise a very nice acidity-tart cherry-metallic aftertaste sort of wine that I associate with decent-but-not-great-non-Duboeuf Beaujolais.
Last edited by David Z on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: TN: Beaujolais (including a H2S flaw), a Burg, a Saut

by Rahsaan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:13 am

David R wrote:Clos de la Roillette 2007: Really nice sap and density, but sort of dark-fruited and not very gamay-like...someone called this "minestrone soup", and they were dead on; it had a real vegetal note. Not the best rendition of this wine that I've had..

Dark fruited and vegetal sounds like a strange combination. I haven't had any 07 Beaujolais but the 07s I have tasted from that general part of France are definitely tarter and higher in acid than some of the previous vintages. But the dark fruit is curious. Interesting.
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

Re: TN: Beaujolais (including a H2S flaw), a Burg, a Saut

by David Z » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:19 am

Rahsaan wrote:
David R wrote:Clos de la Roillette 2007: Really nice sap and density, but sort of dark-fruited and not very gamay-like...someone called this "minestrone soup", and they were dead on; it had a real vegetal note. Not the best rendition of this wine that I've had..

Dark fruited and vegetal sounds like a strange combination. I haven't had any 07 Beaujolais but the 07s I have tasted from that general part of France are definitely tarter and higher in acid than some of the previous vintages. But the dark fruit is curious. Interesting.

Yeah, it was like...imagine a mix of dark cherry and bell pepper? I'm not saying I understood what was going on with it (which is why I let someone else's words do the talking) but this was strange stuff. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it could be delicious, but it wasn't doing it for me tonight.

EDIT: You know what the Roilette reminded me of? A low-level 2005 Cab Franc from the Touraine. Weird, I know.