The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Blind Vitovska

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Blind Vitovska

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:16 am

Sounds like a peripheral character in a Russian novel.

2004 Vodopivec Vitovska Venezia Giulia IGT
This was indeed served blind as the warm-up wine for an extraordinary tasting I will report on in Wine Focus (as it's Piemonte month). The color of old, burnished gold gives no immediate hint as to what this wine may be. Initially too cold for its particular perfumes to escape the glass, I was thus forced to work on mouthfeel and taste for my first clues. It had a richness of body & a level of complexity consistent with something that had been fermented on the grape skins.

For some of the other guys in the tasting group this wine was a total mystery. They had never been exposed to this particular style of winemaking, and the comments ranged from "I don't like anything in this" to "I do not understand what this is about."

After some time in the glass the wine began to warm up & show more fruit (warm peaches...mmm) & an even rgeater textural richness. I looked at our host & said that it reminded me of the Zidarich Vitovska but not quite as rich, nor as evocative of a red wine (for those who have not tasted the Zidarich, the closest aromatic companion I can conjure up is a Truchot Burgundy). Well imagine my surprise when the wine was revealed to be a Vitovska. Actually it was not that much of a parlor trick, given that there are so few wines of this type available to consumers.

I revisited the wine after the formal tasting & it continued to get better and better as it warmed/aired. The warm peach elemetns came even more to the front & there were herbal/spice nuances as well. It was a fascinating wine that I hope to taste again.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Blind Vitovska

by Rahsaan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:55 am

Sounds great. Although these wines are not exactly cheap, are they. Is that because of the production methods? (low yields and all) As a casual observer, there doesn't seem to be huge demand for these wines in the US. Is there huge demand at home, or just low supply in general?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Blind Vitovska

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:44 pm

I would presume (but do not know for certain) that limited availability drives the pricing of these wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up