The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hahn Solo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Hahn Solo

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:09 pm

2005 Hahn Meritage (Monterey)
The best of a mediocre (and weird) restaurant wine list in Wilson, NC.

Overall not a terrible drop. It wasn't too alcoholic, had medium body (compared to the current idiom) & paired well with the steak that was predominant around the table (I had salmon). Tasted like cassis and mild wood.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Hahn Solo

by Jenise » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:21 am

You HAD to write this tasting note if only to name a thread this way. Actually have always thought the Hahns decent value; wish whoever bought the wine for the party I was at last night had been this clever.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:45 pm

On the other Haan....I prefer the Australian producer of almost the same name to the Californian (there is also a Hahn in Oz). Their Bordeaux blend is very good.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:51 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:On the other Haan....I prefer the Australian producer of almost the same name to the Californian (there is also a Hahn in Oz). Their Bordeaux blend is very good.

Isn't that Haan in Barossa, Bill? I've had a few of their wines - found their Merlot a bit on the goopy side, but agree that their 'Wilhelmus' Bdx blend is lovely.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:28 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:On the other Haan....I prefer the Australian producer of almost the same name to the Californian (there is also a Hahn in Oz). Their Bordeaux blend is very good.

Isn't that Haan in Barossa, Bill? I've had a few of their wines - found their Merlot a bit on the goopy side, but agree that their 'Wilhelmus' Bdx blend is lovely.

That's the one. Haven't had the merlot (thanks for the warning) just the Wilhelmus, which I thought pretty good.