The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2005 vs 2006

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

2005 vs 2006

by wrcstl » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:03 pm

I am a fan of many French wines and related to vintage I have been buying lots of affordable '05 reds, particularly Bourgogne and Beaujolais. Spent some time at my wine store a couple of days and talked the the "main man" along with several distributors that were there hawking wines. Everyone claimed that '06 was slightly softer but in general better than '05 in the Southern areas of France. I am not inclined to pay too much attention to a distibutor salesman but the "main guy" is known for honesty and will tell me if he does not like a wine. Haven't really tried any yet. What do people think about the '06 vintage. Both the '05 and '06 Grand Veneur CdR was available and they thought the '06 was better. Comments???
Walt
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: 2005 vs 2006

by Mark Lipton » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:31 pm

wrcstl wrote: What do people think about the '06 vintage. Both the '05 and '06 Grand Veneur CdR was available and they thought the '06 was better. Comments???

Parker has gone on record as saying that he thinks more of '06 in the S. Rhone than '05, which he praised highly. Claude Kolm has said that '06 in Burgundy is much more variable than '05, with certain producers doing as well or better than in '05, however. My own experience is that '06 in Beaujolais has given us some very fruity, forward wines that, while lacking the structure of the '05s, provide nice near-term drinking.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:45 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:My own experience is that '06 in Beaujolais has given us some very fruity, forward wines that, while lacking the structure of the '05s, provide nice near-term drinking.

Is J-M Burgaud's Morgons then an exception to this rule? We haven't seen (m)any other serious Beaujolais here, but I have recently tried the '06 Charme, Côte du Py, CdP Réserve and CdP James and were tight and tannic and so backward that even the Charme gave no pleasure until after a day open. As far as Beaujolais goes, I would have thought the '05s and '07s of this producer were more forward and fruity.

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:09 am

I get the Burgundy Report from Bill Nansen and his thoughts are in line with Claude Kolm's about the variability of the 2006 Burgundies. There were some weather-related problems with the vintage so time of picking, etc. becomes important to the resulting wine.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:38 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:My own experience is that '06 in Beaujolais has given us some very fruity, forward wines that, while lacking the structure of the '05s, provide nice near-term drinking.

Is J-M Burgaud's Morgons then an exception to this rule? We haven't seen (m)any other serious Beaujolais here, but I have recently tried the '06 Charme, Côte du Py, CdP Réserve and CdP James and were tight and tannic and so backward that even the Charme gave no pleasure until after a day open. As far as Beaujolais goes, I would have thought the '05s and '07s of this producer were more forward and fruity.

Interesting, Otto. I can only speak to my own experience, but the tannins of '05 were far more prominent IMO than they were in '06. I haven't had any '07s to compare yet. Of course, Morgon is among the darkest, most backward of the Crus, so no great surprise that they would be tight. OTOH, I've had Brun's VV, Chermette's Traditionelle, Tete's Julienas and Coudert's normale in '06 and all were pretty much ready to go.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:51 pm

The 2006 Pascal Granger Juliennas was pretty dark and tight and earthy-definitely not a light raspberry fruit Beaujo!

(Heck...I even love tight and closed Beaujo!)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach