The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Anyone familiar with Rossignol wines?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Anyone familiar with Rossignol wines?

by Brian K Miller » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:03 pm

I picked up a 2001 Rossignol Beaune Premier Cru (forget the vineyard :oops: ) Is this a "forget it for 10 years" kind of wine, or one that, with air and a love for less fruity Pinot, merits drinking soonish? cellartracker was not much help.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Anyone familiar with Rossignol wines?

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:05 pm

No clue. Any relation to the skis?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:42 pm

I've had Volnays from Nicolas Rossignol (had a reputation for being modern in the past and supposedly toning down the oak in recent vintages but I didn't see it on the 04s where I didn't like what I tasted) and Philippe Rossignol (more rustic and traditional but I believe works out of Gevrey).

Depending on what other advice you can muster it might be worth opening because if I understand correctly 01 was much more 'successful' in the CdN than the CdB, where some rough weather diluted some of the wines.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:29 am

I've had a couple Rossignol wines in the past (something in the 80's and something in the 90's - sorry I cannot remember the years), and they weren't anything to write home about. I remember them as being solid, chunky (not elegant or pretty) wines that were alright but nothing I would seek out and purchase unless the price was low enough. The last Beaune I had from 2001 was a Morot wine and it seemed closed a year ago, so there's a possibility your's might be as well. The only way to really find out is to pop-n-pour.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:49 am

It's the Nicolas bottling. Drat. On the other hand, I am more "experienced " with California wines, so maybe it won't appear too oaky :twisted: . As long as it does not have that over the top fruity cherry cola flavor, I'll be ok. The kid at K&L who was raving about the Trousseau and the Mondeuse I was buying there raved about it (he saw it in my bag from another shop) so...

Luckily I purchased it on sale, so...less than $30. It's also a Robert Karchner import, who I've trusted before.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:40 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:It's the Nicolas bottling. Drat.

Well, it may be quite nice. So many variables.

It's also a Robert Karchner import, who I've trusted before.

Assuming you mean Robert Kacher, I think he is an excellent importer although known for favoring modern-style producers.