The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: OS Winery Ulysses Sheridan Vineyard 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

WTN: OS Winery Ulysses Sheridan Vineyard 2004

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:20 am

I was in my local store after work yesterday to get wine for a lasagna dinner party this Friday, when I dug this wine out of the closeout bin. Opened it last night to sip on while hooking up some new electronics. Deep ruby in color, fragrant with scents of leather and cured tobacco. Earthy and dark. Tasted of dark berries, leather, maybe a little cocoa, some spiciness. The finish lingered a while, and even my untrained palate detected complex undertones as it faded. I liked it well enough to go back tonight for more. I'm hoping it will age well, because I'd like to try it 5-10 years down the road. It was more than I usually spend on wine, but as the store had it marked down from $47.99 to $28.99, plus a 10% mixed case discount, I went for it. It is the best wine I've had in a while.

OS Winery Ulysses Sheridan Vineyard 2004 - 45% Merlot, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Cabernet Franc.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: OS Winery Ulysses Sheridan Vineyard 2004

by Jenise » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:22 pm

Robert, you didn't mention it's origins, so for clarification purposes I'll add to your note that this is a Washington state wine from Owen Sullivan Winery. I believe, but am not 100% certain, that in the last two-three years they've dropped the full name in favor of the initials. It's a very well respected winery who make modernly styled power reds. I am unaware of their track record for aging, but certainly with that grape mix from that vineyard in that vintage (less ripe than 03 or 05, but ripe enough and more structure) you can count on 5-8 years, maybe longer. If you buy more, don't pop your next one before 2010.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:14 pm

Jenise wrote:I believe, but am not 100% certain, that in the last two-three years they've dropped the full name in favor of the initials.

That's correct. http://www.oswinery.com

We had Owen at the shop a couple Thursdays ago to show us his stuff, and several people commented it was the best tasting we'd hosted yet. What showed really great that night was the Sheridan Vineyard Cabernet Franc:
http://www.oswinery.com/wines/2006_Sher ... _Franc.php
It was $60 though, and only 24 cases made.

Dave
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:00 pm

MtBakerDave wrote:
Jenise wrote:I believe, but am not 100% certain, that in the last two-three years they've dropped the full name in favor of the initials.

That's correct. http://www.oswinery.com

We had Owen at the shop a couple Thursdays ago to show us his stuff, and several people commented it was the best tasting we'd hosted yet. What showed really great that night was the Sheridan Vineyard Cabernet Franc:
http://www.oswinery.com/wines/2006_Sher ... _Franc.php
It was $60 though, and only 24 cases made.

Dave

You're so handy. :) Funny, years ago when I tasted their stuff at an instore tasting, it was the Cab Franc I liked best as well. Wish more made 100% CFs in this state.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:16 am

Thanks for the additional info. I went back to Parkhill and got the last 7 bottles of Ulysses in the closeout bin. I'll tag them some way to remind me to keep them around a while.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε