The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Fast Anniversary Notes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Fast Anniversary Notes

by Bill Spohn » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:12 pm

A few quick notes from dinner out with my wife for anniversary. Wines tasted blind.

2005 Zind Humbrecht Herrenweg de Turckheim Gewurztraminer – served too cold and not experessive at all. I didn’t get any real varietal hints and suggested a German wine, and my friend blotted his copybook and said BC. It opened up a lot as it warmed and also gained considerably in length of finish. Medium body, a decent varietal nose (finally!) and medium length. Good now and should improve.

2003 Ch. La Fleur de By – this modest Medoc is the second wine of an old familiar, La Tour de By, which had always impressed me as great value. I didn’t even know they had a second label, but this one showed pleasantly with fresh fruit and medium body and length. Perfect luncheon claret, and will last a few years.

2005 Sandhill Barbera – a BC Barbera? I have always shunned these Can-Italians as being beneath notice. This one was OK, I suppose, but no competition for the real thing. They do much better with their Bordeaux varietals.

2006 Ch. D’Arche – so there I was looking at the colour and thinking a Sauternes from the late 90s. Not much botrytis but medium bodied pleasant wine that doesn’t look like it will make old bones!
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Fast Anniversary Notes

by Salil » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:01 pm

Happy anniversary Bill, congrats to both of you.

Interesting note on the Herrenweg. I just opened an 05 ZH Herrenweg Pinot Gris recently and was rather startled by how big/dense/sweet it was - came across like almost a VT (indice 4) with serious body and alcohol. I was curious as to how the other Herrenweg bottlings that year did in comparison to that - the Gewurz sounds quite different and much more elegant/restrained than the PG.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:38 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:A few quick notes from dinner out with my wife for anniversary. Wines tasted blind.

Blind tasting on your anniversary dinner, Bill? SWMBO is indeed an indulgent sort. Nice wines and notes, too!

Thanks,
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:23 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Blind tasting on your anniversary dinner, Bill? SWMBO is indeed an indulgent sort. Nice wines and notes, too!

Well no notes, actually. I reproduced my impressions from memory the next day as I felt that it would be imprudent to exhibit too much wine geekness on such an auspicious occasion.

I was already in the doghouse for introducing her as my first wife (absolutely true, no idea why she took exception) and toasting her and thanking her for 5 wonderful years (maybe the fact that we've been married for 31 had something to do with that). :mrgreen: :wink:
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:03 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I was already in the doghouse for introducing her as my first wife (absolutely true, no idea why she took exception) and toasting her and thanking her for 5 wonderful years (maybe the fact that we've been married for 31 had something to do with that). :mrgreen: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(almost literally falling on the floor)

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:23 pm

Hey Bill....do you like Quiche and Chai Lattes? :mrgreen:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:51 pm

5 wonderful years out of 31 isn't really that bad a ratio. :wink:
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:36 pm

Redwinger wrote:5 wonderful years out of 31 isn't really that bad a ratio. :wink:

That's what I told her. Some women have no sense of humour! :|
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:39 pm

I was already in the doghouse for introducing her as my first wife (absolutely true, no idea why she took exception) and toasting her and thanking her for 5 wonderful years (maybe the fact that we've been married for 31 had something to do with that). :mrgreen: :wink:

That is very very funny Bill. You `de man!