The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Chianti, DiArie Zin, Scion

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: 2001 Chianti, DiArie Zin, Scion

by Brian K Miller » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:26 pm

With Greek Pete, Beau, and SPCA John at WineStyles. Sipped with Dried Jack and "Old Portugese" cheese and bread (and pasta)

2001 Fattoria di Fonti Chianti Classico Riserva. A group favorite. Quite dark color. Reticent nose with nice cherry fruit. Palate continued the theme, with good cherry fruit, some riper plum notes, great acidity, some of that Italian tobacco-y-ness that I like a lot. Very nicely balanced wine. My only complaint is the oak treatment is still a little noticeable. Hence, 90 points. This is the second wine from this producer that I have enjoyed this fall (The Fontissimo 70/30 (cab) blend is really nice. While I prefer Felsina, I think, and this is defintiely a modernistic producer, the fruit and balance seem to be very well handled here. Hopefully they have not ramped up the oak even more since 2001???? The wine came from North Berkeley Imports-hopefully they have more.

2005 DiArie "Southern Exposure" Shennadoah Valley Zinfendel. 14.7% abv. Quite spicy, raspberry/zinberry nose. I prefered the palate, which was quite smooth and almost "elegant" in mouthfeel. No alcoholic burn at all. Zin is not my favorite wine grape, but this was a nice bottling. 88 points+??? I understand these are Civil War era grapes?

2004 Robert Young "Scion" Alexander Valley Cabernet blend. I prefer this bottling to the 2003, which was ferociously green and sickly vanilla oaky (but, of course, I probably opened my too young). Surprisingly austere for a 2004 vintage Cab-this is not a soft, sweet fruit bomb. Definite notes of herbs and a hint of green pepper. Refreshing acidity and good structure. Some black currant fruit, which may come to the fore in a couple three years as the tannins soften???? A little harsh right now, so 87 with strong upsided potential. (Believe my, I kept sipping more of this one, though.)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach