The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Spanish Grenache, Etna Bianco

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Spanish Grenache, Etna Bianco

by Dale Williams » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:57 pm

Wednesday I did a normal workday, then a board meeting, then a trip to city, when workday ended at 1 AM I thought I might have a glass of wine might be in order. But probably a bad time to open a bottle, so I settled for a half of a glass of the 2007 Garnacha de Fuego (that I think is a proprietarybrand name, I didn't care enough to remember to look at producer). This had been a cooking wine on Tuesday, I had dismissed as overripe/oversweet. Not much has changed on Wed, sweet candied red fruit, jammy, light tannins, fairly short finish. Not my style, rest of bottle gets to visit vinegar crock. C+

Thursday was a relief to come home at 5, Betsy put together a nice simple dinner of salmon steamed with chard and onions, along with brown rice and the 2006 Biondi "Outis (Nessuno) " Etna Bianco. Label says 90% Carricante, with equal amounts of 4 other grapes making up balance. Good acidity, clean, fairly light body, with flavors of lemony citrus, apricot, and a little grass; finish is not very long but has an interesting wet rock minerality. Interesting wine. Not the best match to the salmon (I like red with salmon usually, but thought with the steaming's lack of Maillard effect I'd try white- still would, but something more full-bodied like a white Burg), but a versatile enough food wine not to conflict. This doesn't impress me as much as its red brother, but still a good wine. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.