The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Domaine Chume-Arnaud Vinsobres

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

WTN: 2005 Domaine Chume-Arnaud Vinsobres

by Tom Troiano » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:02 am

2005 Domaine Chume-Arnaud Vinsobres
$16

I’m not really sure what this is. I bought a few bottles based on an email last Spring. As I recall from the email this was supposed to be a Chateauneuf-like wine for much less money.

The wine definitely delivered Chateauneuf-like qualities. It was a nice combination of ripe tannins and sweet complex Grenache and Syrah flavors. I got some plums, currants and/or figs on the palate.

This should age well but it drinks nicely now.

For $16 I think this is a pretty good QPR wine.

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: 2005 Domaine Chume-Arnaud Vinsobres

by Redwinger » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:51 am

Sounds like a wine I would enjoy. Thanks for the heads-up.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

Notes on the 2003 Domaine Chume-Arnaud Vinsobres

by Charles Weiss » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:36 pm

Hi Tom!
Long time no see.
I bought these from the same source likely, and agree good QPR even though the flavor profile was a little different in that vintage.
Charles

• 2003 Domaine Chaume Arnaud Côtes du Rhône Villages Vinsobres - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône Villages Vinsobres (9/13/2008)
    All about sweet black fruit, but decent structure. Flavor profile not unlike an exuberant zinfandel. Enjoyed by the in-laws, and sturdy enough for braised short ribs.
  • 2003 Domaine Chaume Arnaud Côtes du Rhône Villages Vinsobres - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône Villages Vinsobres (12/28/2007)
    Much better than 2/7/07. Sweet black raspberry fruit and some earth now evident. Medium length. Next day still some primary fruit but now more the earthy/mildy spicy side of the wine. Drink now for the fruit or hold a year or two.
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:29 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:2005 Domaine Chume-Arnaud Vinsobres
$16

I’m not really sure what this is. I bought a few bottles based on an email last Spring. As I recall from the email this was supposed to be a Chateauneuf-like wine for much less money.

The wine definitely delivered Chateauneuf-like qualities. It was a nice combination of ripe tannins and sweet complex Grenache and Syrah flavors. I got some plums, currants and/or figs on the palate.

This should age well but it drinks nicely now.

For $16 I think this is a pretty good QPR wine.

Tom T.

Tom,
I found several bottles the 1999 of this on the close out shelf around 2001, and drank them through 2006. I swear the last one drunk was the best of the bunch, and all were darn good!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

Re: Notes on the 2003 Domaine Chume-Arnaud Vinsobres

by Tom Troiano » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:50 pm

Charles Weiss wrote:Hi Tom!
Long time no see.
I bought these from the same source likely, and agree good QPR even though the flavor profile was a little different in that vintage.

Charles,

Thanks. My term as President of a local youth sports group has ended so I'm trying to resurrect my wine hobby. Unfortunately, my oldest is off to college in 2009 so the wine budget is small.

I bought this wine from Gordon's. It even better on the second night. I'm getting those rapsberries that you noted.

Tom
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:53 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:I swear the last one drunk was the best of the bunch, and all were darn good!

The last bottle is always the best!

Last Bottle Theory
The last bottle of any lot will always be the best bottle particularly if the wine is unobtainable at the time the last bottle is consumed.
Tom T.