The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '91 Becker WW Auslese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

WTN: '91 Becker WW Auslese

by Dan Donahue » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:49 pm

1991 J. B. Becker Wallufer Walkenberg Riesling Auslese Rheingau

I've never tried this producer before; some quick research indicated an affinity for the Trocken end of the spectrum. Cork was soiled under the foil, but was fine otherwise. Color was a clear and rich golden yellow. Still youthful to the eye and the nose, which featured peach, white flowers and citrus. Tangy and fruity (yellow fruits mainly, a hint of green apple) without being edgy or cloyingly sweet. Middle of the road is often used as a term of denigration--not here. Yes, a little more intensity would not have hurt, still this was quite enjoyable in its own relaxed manner. And a good example that "Auslese" relates to ripeness and not residual sugar. ap nr 18-93

Served as the welcome wine for a dinner with friends. It was such a hit that I held off serving the other wines for a time. We also had the '06 Rhys/Alesia San Mateo (three hours in a decanter) and the '05 Kosta-Browne RRV (one hour in a decanter). Both excellent wines--in very different styles--hardly in need of any additional notes.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: '91 Becker WW Auslese

by David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:10 pm

I know the site, but not the producer.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

Re: WTN: '91 Becker WW Auslese

by Dan Donahue » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:31 pm

Amazing how much wine is out there. The label indicated that this was a centennial release 1893-1993 and a little more research shows the estate is still going strong (even if few of the releases get to the US). Apparantly Becker was one of the first German estates to go to glass stoppers. David have you tried any Germans using glass? The only ones that I've seen so far were from US or Italy (surprisingly enough).

In any event an enjoyable wine at 17 years. I'd buy more.
Je ne peux pas le faire