The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Three wines

by Florida Jim » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:31 pm

2007 Biggio Hamina, Pinot Noir Deux Vert Vnyd.:
Translucent; very high toned aromatics that seem just a touch under-ripe to me – not 2004 Burgundy green but just not quite full; elegant and pretty in the mouth with bright black cherry and mineral flavors dominant, moderate intensity and a trifle thin (but leaving the possibility that this will gain weight with age); medium length slightly sour finish. Given a year or two in bottle this may be an entirely different wine – the fact that I found no ‘green’ at all gives me hope. But today it comes across a little under-ripe and lacking concentration. 13% alcohol.
I have another bottle or two and will age them and see what happens. I will say that if a producer has to miss my mark, I much prefer it this way than some over-ripe, alcoholic, knock-off for syrah.
Once again I am convinced; this is a producer worth watching.

2006 Paul Bouchard, Pinot Noir Vin de Pays D’Oc:
Good, solid, Burgundy styled pinot with ripe fruit, mineral undertones and enough nuance to keep it interesting, Easy to drink.
On day two, it has gained complexity, integrated a little better and become even more pleasing both with and without food.
Buy this buy the case at $9/bottle.

2005 Pieropan, Soave Classico Calvarino:
I am a fan of garganega and have tasted through enough Soave to write an essay (just short of a book); as I see them, the players are Pieropan, Anselmi, Inama and, to some degree, Pra.
Inama’s low-end stuff is his best, the rest flawed by too much wood; Anselmi’s, Capitel Foscarino (no wood) is wonderfully fresh and alive whereas, his Capitel Croce (aged in wood), seems to make the grape’s essential character into a caricature. Likewise, Pieropan’s, La Rocca (also aged in wood), while delicious in its way, comes short by virtue of its barrel exposure.
But this is “it;” Calvarino – a single vineyard, fermented and aged in stainless and without question, a wine worthy of your cellar, year in and year out.
And this is the vintage – god wine – and the best example of the grape/AOC I have ever tasted. It’s powerful, closed, firm, structured, bright but incredibly deep and utterly endless. A wine that probably needs a decade to show well and maybe another to attain its peak. Nothing else even comes close.
One of wine’s great delights is this kind of discovery; a bottle that you absolutely know is a landmark example of what a grape and/or AOC can do.
And it’s nice to have the rest of a case of this to follow through the years.
About $24, full retail, delivered.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Sierra southmost, California

Re: WTN: Three wines

by MichaelB » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:06 pm

Thanks for the TNs, especially the last. After years of sipping generic soave, I tasted an '06 Prà Montegrande and was hooked. I was less pleased with Prà's '07 Staforte--too much alcohol, and unlike you, I don't mind a little oak. As noted on Robin's Wine books thread, specific info about Italian wines outside Piedmont and Tuscany is not easy to find, and I'm going to try some of those you describe. Sounds like you're an old hand at this wonderful white. What is ageing curve for a good soave?
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:53 am

MichaelB wrote: What is ageing curve for a good soave?

I'm about to find out.
Most that I have had are good for at least 5 years after vintage. But this Calvarino gives the impression it will develop for more than a decade so I'll try to keep some that long to find out.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:51 am

My Soave purchases have been mostly the basic Anselmi (technically not Soave) and Pieropan. I like Inama a tad less, and Pra has been a mild disappointment. After some woody ones have avoided the higher priced ones, but this convinced me to order a couple Calvarino from Wine Library this AM. Thanks for notes as always.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:55 pm

Dale Williams wrote: . . . but this convinced me to order a couple Calvarino from Wine Library this AM.

Dale,
FWIW, that's where I got mine.
And I wasn't kidding about these needing age.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars