The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chateau Mouton Rothschild 1988

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Chateau Mouton Rothschild 1988

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:51 pm

Paulliac

Decanted about 35 minutes before supper.

Still a good deep red in the glass.

A lovely nose: leather, earth, barnyard.

Medium weight, cherry, raspberry, black olives, pipe tobacco, leather, smoky. Quite rich, delicious and surprsingly approachable.

With time, the wine became leaner, edgier and tagnier and also appeared to turn a bit lighter. It was still tasty though.

A very long finish, going on for minutes.

Class in a glass.

Went very well with a hearty beef stew, homemade buns and the soundtrack to the movie French Kiss.

Purchased, a number of years ago, at $89 American which, at the time, seemed very expensive but today seems very cheap.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

Re: WTN: Chateau Mouton Rothschild 1988

by Covert » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:27 am

Bruce, I enjoyed an '88 Mouton brought out by a dinner host maybe seven years ago. I found it to be staggeringly delightful, for many of the qualities that you mention. Then I bought a bottle for $225 and was very disappointed. It seemed over the hill. In the same time frame I read that the particular Mouton vintage had uncharacteristically, suddenly died; and I started to think that maybe it was true, that Mouton should not have First Growth Status.

After your post, I am inclined to find still another bottle and take a second chance. Did you feel it had much remaining life?
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:31 am

Covert wrote:Bruce, I enjoyed an '88 Mouton brought out by a dinner host maybe seven years ago. I found it to be staggeringly delightful, for many of the qualities that you mention. Then I bought a bottle for $225 and was very disappointed. It seemed over the hill. In the same time frame I read that the particular Mouton vintage had uncharacteristically, suddenly died; and I started to think that maybe it was true, that Mouton should not have First Growth Status.

After your post, I am inclined to find still another bottle and take a second chance. Did you feel it had much remaining life?

I am not very good at guessing about the future life of wines. All I know is that it is drinking well now (apart from the fact it became a bit leaner half way through the decanter), so I would suggest drinking up within the next few years.

You should also know that I have almost no experience with Mouton, this being my second bottle ever.
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:35 pm

I had the 1988 Mouton twice back in 2006 and I show very good notes for that wine. I found it to be on the young side, in the beginning of it's drinking window.

My notes:

6/29/2006: Pauillac Fest (Les Sans Coulettes, NYC): Very nice with some tar. Good dark fruit. Rich. Lots of structure, but drinkable. Lots of dark notes, burnt toast.
B++

2/9/2006: Mouton Vertical at Hearth in NYC (Hearth Restaurant): Rich full Fruit. Long, resolving in acidic tannins. Young but beautiful. Silky, some nice mint.
A-