The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Good wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Good wines

by Florida Jim » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:59 am

2000 Felsina, Chianti Classico Riserva Rancia (375 ml):
No bricking; red and black fruit on the nose with warm earth and milk chocolate hints; medium weight, flavors follow the nose with a smoke accent, silky texture, somewhat resolved structure and good length that carries a certain low-register, baked, black fruit note. Not completely integrated but certainly on its way. Perfect with white pizza and salad. About $20 for this small size.

2007 Edmunds St. John, Bone Jolly Witters Vnyd.:
Gamay from El Dorado County; expansive and pretty aromas of fresh cherry and crushed rocks; in the mouth its juicy with flavors that follow the nose; so lively and exuberant – wide open, youthful, lip-smackingly delicious wine that simply demands that you take another taste. There is substantial fruit, an almost hidden structure, a satin texture and a vibrancy that is hard to put into words - this is the bomb! $16; back-up the truck.

2007 Edmunds St. John, Porphyry Barsotti Ranch:
Gamay from El Dorado County from granite soils; restrained aromas of dried cherry and mineral with a slightly smoky note; equally composed in the mouth with flavors that echo the nose, considerable grip, bright acids and a fairly closed fruit profile; excellent length. This demands cellar time and has the stuffing and structure to age a decade or more. Today, this is more an intellectual experience, as opposed to the sheer bliss of the preceding bottle. But what a future it promises; great wine, showing very young. $20, full retail.

2007 Nōmade, Torrontes:
The most aromatic wine I have ever smelled – its like being in a grapefruit orchard on harvest day and having the wind blow in orange blossom and jasmine fragrance at the same time – this one really does explode from the glass – startling; vivacious on the palate (but not quite as overwhelming as the nose) with flavors that follow the nose and add pear and mint tones, lively acidity, very fresh and intense; medium length finish. An unforgettable wine. From Argentina, 13.3%alcohol and about $15.

2007 Dönnhoff, Riesling:
With fried rice with chilies Diane says, “This is lovely wine.”
It is, indeed. 10% alcohol and about $17.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: Good wines

by Redwinger » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:38 am

Ahh, so that Porphyry needs to go into the long term ESJ annex of the cellar along side the 2005 Bassetti?

BTW, how is Porphyry pronounced?

Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:46 am

Redwinger wrote:Ahh, so that Porphyry needs to go into the long term ESJ annex of the cellar along side the 2005 Bassetti?

Redwinger

Grrr' eight!
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:56 pm

Redwinger wrote:Ahh, so that Porphyry needs to go into the long term ESJ annex of the cellar along side the 2005 Bassetti?

Redwinger

Poor-free
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:16 pm

From a couple of winemakers who grow grapes on the stuf I have heard "por-fer-ee"
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:48 pm

The 2007 Bone Jolly still hasn't hit Indiana. I do love the '06.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:11 am

Sam Platt wrote:The 2007 Bone Jolly still hasn't hit Indiana. I do love the '06.

Sam,

I am a fan of the o6 as well.

I suspect you won't see the 2007 B-J in Indiana for a few months at a minimum, and most likely it will be late '09, and then only if Steve still has any left when the local chain places their "annual" order. As you may recall, the one store has a statewide "exclusive on ESJ until such time Steve can secure Indiana distribution.

Fortunate for us there is still a good supply of the 2005s (R & G, Wylie-Fenaughty, Parmelee Hill and Bassetti)

Take care,

Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!