The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Rivers Marie Cab & 2004 Audelssa Tempest

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 2003 Rivers Marie Cab & 2004 Audelssa Tempest

by Jason Hagen » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:16 pm

2003 Rivers-Marie Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/14/2008)
Really enjoying the aromatics. Leather and spice. A rich palate, full bodied and full flavored. Shows more like a cool climate cab when compared to the 04 but this still has lots of ripe luscious fruit. Tannins are strong and acidity is good. Little bit of heat on the short finish. (91 pts.)

2004 Audelssa Estate Winery Tempest - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (12/2/2008)
We really enjoyed this wine and it continued to improve throughout the evening. The nose was a bit plumy but also mixed with crushed red fruits. Big aromatics. A little cool climate funk. Smelled like there may be some whole cluster in there. On the palate the primary fruit hits hard. After the big fruit it finishes with creamy chocolate. Lots of acid and a bit of tannin. (92 pts.)
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Re: WTN: 2003 Rivers Marie Cab & 2004 Audelssa Tempest

by Jon Leifer » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:18 pm

Jaason: I tasted and purchased my first Audelsssa wines in October when my wife and I visited their tasting room in Sonoma..haven't made the notorious drive up to the winery yet..
What is Tempest? A blend? sounds terrific, sounds like something I shd be looking at when they release the next batch of wines..I signed up when we were there..also bought some olive oil and a wicked cab infused chocolate sauce

thanks,Jon
Jon
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:18 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:What is Tempest? A blend? sounds terrific, sounds like something I shd be looking at when they release the next batch of wines..I signed up when we were there..also bought some olive oil and a wicked cab infused chocolate sauce

Tempest is Syrah/Viognier ... not sure of the split. I believe it is co-fermented. This is my first Audelssa so don't know much else although I am hoping to try one of the cabs soon.

That chocolate sauce is making me hungry.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:27 pm

The cabs are terrific..The chocolate sauce over vanilla ice cream has been a big hit at our house this winter season
Will look for the Tempest on the next mailing, have enjoyed the Shiraz/Viognier and Syrah/Viognier blends I have tasted from other sources.
Jon
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:34 pm

Audelssa's Bordeaux blend, Summit, is quite nice also. I have been buying a few bottles each year for the past several years.
We made the trip up the mountain in a light drizzle - it was one of the scariest drives ever. After our visit, on the way down, the road was blocked by a fallen tree. We tried as hard as we could to move it, but it wouldn't budge. We then had to make a u-turn on this narrow, winding road to head back in the opposite direction. It is a winery visit we will never forget.
Diane