The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: three Crastos, two Weinerts, Laroche & Niepoort

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNs: three Crastos, two Weinerts, Laroche & Niepoort

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:40 pm

The three dry reds in this tasting were chosen for some didactic fun: a friend who only buys inexpensive bottles asked me if it was really worth paying more for better wine. In other words, if you pay double, do you really get double the pleasure? To try to answer this empirically, I picked one bottle from each of the three levels produced by Quinta do Crasto, one of my favorite producers. The conclusion is, of course, in the tongue of the beholder, but while the 100% price differential between the basic Crasto and the Reserva seemed mirrored in the quality department (though not necessarily in the pleasure department), the same could not be said of the differential between the Reserva and the Vinha da Ponte. As Marcia suggested, and perhaps this is a universal axiom, as the quality curve steepens, it appears to cost more and more for a producer to obtain an additional increase in quality, so that prices appear to rise exponentially in exchange for smaller and smaller quality increases.

2006 Weinert Carrascal White 14.0%
A blend of chenin blanc and sauvignon blanc. Floral, fresh and tasty. Good acid/sweet balance. High alcohol well integrated. Straightforward, good QPR.

2006 Weinert Chardonnay Reserva 14.5%
100% chardonnay, oak-free. Slightly cloying but interesting aromas of sweet papaya, cloves, banana and capsicum. Creamy texture, good acidity. High alcohol also well integrated. Interesting wine, but not for those who seek varietal expression (would have never guessed chardonnay). I like this winery when they stick to their knitting and don’t try to keep up with the Joneses (pardon the mixed metaphor).

2004 Laroche Chablis 12.5%
Bottled under screw cap (hooray). Made from purchased grapes. Mineral (chalk) nose, with lime/grapefruit and a touch of butter. Got a whiff of oyster shell, but so slight that I wasn’t sure I wasn’t projecting something I wanted. Then again, I also wanted lanolin, and found nary a whiff. Marcia found it delicious. I found it pretty good for its level, but uninspiring.

2006 Quinta do Crasto Douro 14.0%
A blend of Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca, Touriga Franca and Touriga Nacional (gotta love those names). Some, if not all, of the grapes were purchased. Wet dishrag and cherry aromas, excellent acid/sweet balance, very pleasant. The perfect restaurant wine and an excellent QPR.

2003 Quinta do Crasto Douro Reserva Old Vines 14.5%
From 70 year old vines, aged 20 months in American and French oak. Twice the price of the previous and clearly in a higher category. Rich nose of chocolate, vanilla and black cherry. Rich, opulent even. My only gripe is too much oak, especially American oak, which became off-putting after a while. Fine stuff, but not quite my palate.

2000 Quinta do Crasto Vinha da Ponte 14.5%
From 80 year old vines, aged 20 months in American and French oak. Three times the price of the previous and a notch above the Reserva, though the gap between this and the Reserva seemed smaller than the gap between the Reserva and the regular. The aroma was less complex, mainly cassis, but the mouth feel was very classy, almost majestic. Perfect balance, with the oak completely integrated at this point. As the night wore on, it began to oxidize in the glass, suggesting that those who have this should drink up rather than wait.

1997 Niepoort Vintage Port 20.5%
Was a bit too tipsy at this point so don’t remember much except that it was excellent, not too thick or syrupy, with a strong molasses note. But it gave me the final wallop, and the last two guests got the hint when I fell asleep on the couch.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTNs: three Crastos, two Weinerts, Laroche & Niepoort

by Saina » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:36 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:2003 Quinta do Crasto Douro Reserva Old Vines 14.5%
From 70 year old vines, aged 20 months in American and French oak. Twice the price of the previous and clearly in a higher category. Rich nose of chocolate, vanilla and black cherry. Rich, opulent even. My only gripe is too much oak, especially American oak, which became off-putting after a while. Fine stuff, but not quite my palate.

Thanks for the notes Oswaldo. My experience has also been that this tends to be a rather "internationally" styled wine. But I recently got a sip of the just released 2006 and that seemed to be different - at least in a quick tasting situation, who knows how I will find it if I sat down with and actually drank it... It seemed classic Douro without so much new oak notes, but it was a burly and powerful wine with great, seemingly unspoofulated structure. It was utterly unlike any Crasto I had had before, and all the better for it for showing a more unique personality. Apparently the single vineyards weren't produced in '06 so they all went into the Reserva Old Vines. I hope their style really has changed and that I wasn't just hallucinating.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:26 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:I recently got a sip of the just released 2006 and that seemed to be different - at least in a quick tasting situation, who knows how I will find it if I sat down with and actually drank it... It seemed classic Douro without so much new oak notes, but it was a burly and powerful wine with great, seemingly unspoofulated structure. It was utterly unlike any Crasto I had had before, and all the better for it for showing a more unique personality. Apparently the single vineyards weren't produced in '06 so they all went into the Reserva Old Vines. I hope their style really has changed and that I wasn't just hallucinating.

Good to hear that, I'll try and find some 2006 Reserva. I hope to visit Crasto in Portugal next year, so will check out what's going on, but I'd be surprised if they changed their style, since it seems so successful.

There is no mention of 06 single vineyards in the Crasto website, consistent with the fact that it was supposedly a difficult vintage, but WS shows reviews for both the 06 Touriga Nacional and the 06 Vinha Maria Teresa, and Wine-Searcher shows them for sale in different places, so I sent Crasto an email asking about this.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:50 pm

Oswaldo, great notes. Catching up as I was away for Xmas!