The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Ungrafted v. Grafted Vines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Ungrafted v. Grafted Vines

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:01 pm

Until recently, I hadn’t given much thought to the impact of grafted vines on the general quality of wine made after phylloxera. I contented myself with reading here and there that the use of American rootstocks had not affected the flavor profile of the grapes. Not to mention that, since there is nothing that we, as consumers, can do about it, and very little that the overwhelming majority of producers can do about it, I would have preferred not to know.

A few weeks ago, however, I read a fascinating interview with Portugal’s Luis Pato in which he talks about the wine he has been making since 1995 at his Quinta do Ribeirinho in the region of Bairrada using the Baga grape planted on sandy soil (which the Phylloxera bug hates) using ungrafted vines (pé franco, in Portuguese, franc de pied, in French). Pato said that bunches and grapes from ungrafted vines are both much smaller, leading to a higher skin to flesh ratio and wine that is more tannic and concentrated. I have yet to find/try this wine, but my curiosity is definitely piqued. Recently I saw a note from Dale about Catherine and Pierre Breton’s ungrafted cabernet franc, so I picked up a bottle at Chambers earlier in the month and hope to try it soon. Anyway, going back to Luis Pato, a picture is worth a thousand words, so here is one (I hope this works), from his website, showing a grafted bunch (left) next to an ungrafted bunch (right). I wrote to Mr. Pato asking if they were the same age, and he kindly wrote back saying that the ungrafted vine was 20 yrs old and the grafted 16 yrs old, making the size differential due to age negligible. Pretty interesting stuff, I think.

Pe Franco v Pe Enxertado.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Oswaldo Costa on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: Ungrafted v. Grafted Rootstocks

by David Creighton » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:29 pm

you refer to 'ungrafted rootstocks'; but i'm not sure this is the right wording. rootSTOCKS are things that you graft things onto. ungrafted vines are 'own rooted' - they do not use rootstocks. OR is he using pure vinifera rootstocks - just not the ones from the variety he is growing?
david creighton
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: Ungrafted v. Grafted Rootstocks

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:40 pm

David Creighton wrote:you refer to 'ungrafted rootstocks'; but i'm not sure this is the right wording. rootSTOCKS are things that you graft things onto. ungrafted vines are 'own rooted' - they do not use rootstocks. OR is he using pure vinifera rootstocks - just not the ones from the variety he is growing?

Thanks, will go back and revise!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

Re: Ungrafted v. Grafted Vines

by Mark Willstatter » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:12 pm

Hopefully others more knowledgeable will chime in but I don't think it's surprising that grafted and ungrafted vines behave differently. It's not so much that grafted vines will always produce more heavily than those on their own roots, it's that different grapes have different degrees of vigor and that applies to both rootstock and vine. Any variety behaves differently depending on what rootstock you graft it onto. Accordingly, rootstocks for grafted vines are chosen very carefully depending on the variety to be grafted onto it as well as local climate and soils. If the same variety behaves differently on different rootstocks, of course it will behave differently on its own roots. It appears in this case the vine is much more vigorous (or at least produces more fruit) on the rootstock that was chosen for the grafted version than it is on its own roots. The opposite might be true with different variety and rootstock. I don't think you can generalize from this, that grafting onto non-vinifera rootstock necessarily changes the "flavor profile" of grapes. It might or might not but this one example doesn't tell us much.
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:11 pm

Mark Willstatter wrote:Any variety behaves differently depending on what rootstock you graft it onto. Accordingly, rootstocks for grafted vines are chosen very carefully depending on the variety to be grafted onto it as well as local climate and soils.

Exactly. Rootstock is very important. The scion variety and the terroir are much discussed, but the bit inbetween is sadly neglected. Mainly because is it not sexy enough for marketing purposes I suspect.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:45 pm

Grafting of vines is itself an entire subject. Usually you never hear about it until things such as the 1990s Sonoma AxR disaster happen. Rootstock varieties vary greatly in their soil preferences, disease resistance, willingness to accept vinifera grafts, and just about every other important dimension you can think of.

On the other side, according to Jancis Robinsion's book there are several vinifera varieties that were widely planted before phylloxera but are not cultivated much now because they don't take rootstock grafts very well.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:25 pm

One thing that struck me as odd: why would anyone want to increase the skin to pulp ratio in Baga? It is a somewhat hard/tannic grape as grown on the grafted vines (since I have not had Pato's ungrafted cuvee). Pato is a big advocate of Baga as a fine wine grape, and I generally like what they do, so he must have his reasons. Earlier this week we had their Baga espumoso (sparkler), which is quite full bodied, well colored and different.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:50 pm

Any idea what rootstock the grafted plants are on? Also is it known if all other conditions are same, i.e. vine density, trellising, soil composition, etc.? While rootstock can impact berry size, bunch size, vigor etc. so can other factors such that unless all other conditions are the same one can not assume that rootstock alone accounts for the difference in the picture.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:02 pm

Joe Dressner has also observed that several Loire valley vignerons have done side-by-side comparisons of grafted and ungrafted Cab Franc. He also reports that the grafted vines were substantially more vigorous, though he didn't provide photographic evidence such as Pato's. His explanation was that rootstock was typically chosen for its vigor, so tends to provide for more vigor than native rootstock. (Or could it be that v. labrusca is inherently more vigorous than v. vinifera?)

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:41 am

Mark Lipton wrote:...Or could it be that v. labrusca is inherently more vigorous than v. vinifera?
Mark Lipton
I don't think v. labrusca is used in rootstocks. I think most are vinevera crosses with Vitis rupestris, Muscadinia rotundifolia and/or V. riparia. I recall a story about Dr. Konstantin Frank selecting wild grapes (V. riparia) growing in a field (1950s) and he successfully used it as a rootstock for vinefera.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:56 pm

There was a very good discussion about rootstocks in the Wine Business Monthly a few months ago. One of the many interesting points raised was that one of the reasons for the higher alcohol in CA wines recently might be the prevalent rootstock.

I have a Falanghina and Piedirosso from near Naples, in an appellation so sandy that the vines don't need to be grafted. The grapes for both red and white are picked in early October in a hot climate and the wines come in at about 12%...
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines