The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Huet 1er Trie, H-N Bourgognes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

WTNs: Huet 1er Trie, H-N Bourgognes

by David Z » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:24 am

Holiday Wines from the mountains:

1997 Huet Clos du Bourg 1er Trie Moelleux:
On super sale ($40!) at Gordon's wine in Waltham, but with questionable storage (no SOS, but the label looks like it's been through WWIII).
This took a while to open up....but after an hour or so, was really singing with lots of honey, pineapple, and LOADS of green tea. Not too sweet, not too acidic, just a well balanced, complex wine. Interestingly, this was opened at my girlfriend's family for Christmas, and her uncle came by, and he's never had anything beyond Beringer White Zin in his life, and he took one sip of this from someone else's glass, tossed his can of Budweiser into the trash and drank 2 glasses of this, proclaiming it "sweet, mellow, and damn delicious". I wouldn't pay full sticker for this, but it was very good.

2005 & 2006 Hudelot-Noellat Bourgogne:
The local wine store had both these bottles, but at rapacious prices (we're out in the middle of nowhere, so, not like there were better options). The 2006 was delicious, with sweet cherry fruit, nice concentration, and amazingly silky tannins. Definitely a cut above your typical decent Bourgogne, and well worth the price. The 2005 (probably stored on the rack at room temp for the past year) was tight, with a hint of black fruit, very silky and gamey and a touch of spices, with a nice shot of acidity at the end; went great with a turkey dinner. A better-stored example might have more fruit to it, but even this bottle would be worth revisiting in a couple of years.
Both the H-N Bourgognes were notable for a very silky mouthfeel and good concentration....with none of the stalkiness I've seen described in notes on pre-2005 H-N wines (under a different winemaker). I would say they were excellent for the level and fine QPR.

2006? Hogue Riesling:
Bought for the White Zin drinkers. Too sweet, and too cloying; I can't imagine what the "Late Harvest" version that was adjacent on the shelf must taste like. This was poured down the sink by others in favor of the Beringer White Zin; tasting both, I can't say I blamed them.
Last edited by David Z on Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTNs: Huet 1er Trie, H-N Bourgognes

by Tim York » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:36 pm

David R wrote:
with questionable storage (no SOS, but the label looks like it's been through WWIII).
I wouldn't pay full sticker for this, but it was very good.

Label damage is often due to a high level of humidity in the cellar which is good for ageing the wine, if not for the appearance of the bottle. Your TN seems to confirm this. I would buy more of these bottles.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

Re: WTNs: Huet 1er Trie, H-N Bourgognes

by David Z » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:18 pm

Tim York wrote:
David R wrote:
with questionable storage (no SOS, but the label looks like it's been through WWIII).
I wouldn't pay full sticker for this, but it was very good.

Label damage is often due to a high level of humidity in the cellar which is good for ageing the wine, if not for the appearance of the bottle. Your TN seems to confirm this. I would buy more of these bottles.

Well, if anyone wants it and is in the Boston area, they had a few bottles left of the Clos du Bourg and the Le Mont as of 12/23, both for $40.