The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Fleurie Les Garants, Pierre-Marie Chermette 2006

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Fleurie Les Garants, Pierre-Marie Chermette 2006

by Hoke » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:07 pm

Domaine de Vissoux.

Served with a simple roast garlic chicken and smashed potatoes with broccoli.

An ideal wine for the dish, the Fleurie was sturdy, not particularly flowery despite its name/AOC, and enjoyable. My wife, who does not particularly care for the Gamay grape, even liked it!

Quite often and enjoyable meal with friends is not about blockbuster wines or blockbuster foods; it's more about getting reacquainted, catching up with the past year, and enjoying a respite during the all-too-hectic holidays.

For that, the meal and the wine were in perfect synchrony with the occasion, fitting together without drama, in a very European way.

In our search for vinous superlatives we often overlook the quieter wines, the wines that shine with food, and simple food at that. Our mistake.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Fleurie Les Garants, Pierre-Marie Chermette 2006

by Dale Williams » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:13 pm

Thanks for notes, I like Vissoux/Chermette. NEver seen this bottling, I usually get the BV VV and the Fleurie Poncie. Is this a single vineyard?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:39 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Thanks for notes, I like Vissoux/Chermette. NEver seen this bottling, I usually get the BV VV and the Fleurie Poncie. Is this a single vineyard?

Yes, and from what I understand, Dale, it's one of the highest elevation Fleurie. Interestingly enough, it used to be Moulin-a-Vent many years ago. Which makes sense, because I think this had more M-a-V style than what I normally think of Fleurie---more tannic (although not excessively or screechily so), less perfume, more fullness in the middle palate, and a bit of violets-sprinkled-with-pepper taste, all a little subdued.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:00 pm

I am a big fan of this wine. Hoke describes if just right.
Tim York